the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW
Moderator: Community Team
Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.
Jesus provided free healthcare - a progressive, liberal thing to do.
Jesus had long hair, sandals and a beard, and he drifted around talkign about p eace and love. He was a hippy, not a republican. He wouldn;t have invaded Iraq (although the OT god might have).
Jay i didn't mean to come across so sarcastic. My point was that any interpretation is just that, an interpretation. We are talking about a book which has had a thousand meanings attached to it through the ages. Bottom line - NOBODY KNOWS, as you yourself admitted. Believing in the rapture is a hell of a leap from reading the words (probably poorly translated from the Hebrew - see my point about the virgin birth) 'caught u p' in ONE verse of the entire bible.
And this is why religion can be dangerous. Becasue faced with scientific reasoning (evolution, the big bang etc), or the plain truth that china is not going to invade israel, you lot just stick your fingers in your ears and shout 'lalalala can't hear you, we're right, lalalala'
Jesus had long hair, sandals and a beard, and he drifted around talkign about p eace and love. He was a hippy, not a republican. He wouldn;t have invaded Iraq (although the OT god might have).
Jay i didn't mean to come across so sarcastic. My point was that any interpretation is just that, an interpretation. We are talking about a book which has had a thousand meanings attached to it through the ages. Bottom line - NOBODY KNOWS, as you yourself admitted. Believing in the rapture is a hell of a leap from reading the words (probably poorly translated from the Hebrew - see my point about the virgin birth) 'caught u p' in ONE verse of the entire bible.
And this is why religion can be dangerous. Becasue faced with scientific reasoning (evolution, the big bang etc), or the plain truth that china is not going to invade israel, you lot just stick your fingers in your ears and shout 'lalalala can't hear you, we're right, lalalala'
- kingwaffles
- Posts: 718
- Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:05 am
- Location: Pseudopolis Yard, Ankh Morpork, Discworld
- johnnyrotten
- Posts: 2883
- Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:42 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location: Poole, England
- dagreatbroomhead
- Posts: 453
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:02 pm
- Location: Maine
no, thats how they spell it in English.... look it up.TitusFinn wrote:That's how they spell it over there?johnnyrotten wrote:No I didn'tjay_a2j wrote:TitusFinn wrote:Is that a British term? Whinging? What's that mean exactly?johnnyrotten wrote: No whinging.
He meant "whining".
Oh...and I wasn't being persistant.
and titus, if you don't like my answers don't play, its that simple.
answers and updates soon.
No...they don't spell "whining", "whinging" in English AND if you haven't noticed. I did stop playing, since the answers where bogus.dagreatbroomhead wrote:no, thats how they spell it in English.... look it up.TitusFinn wrote:That's how they spell it over there?johnnyrotten wrote:No I didn'tjay_a2j wrote:TitusFinn wrote:Is that a British term? Whinging? What's that mean exactly?johnnyrotten wrote: No whinging.
He meant "whining".
Oh...and I wasn't being persistant.
and titus, if you don't like my answers don't play, its that simple.
answers and updates soon.
I'm just saying. That's all. Sheesh.
- dagreatbroomhead
- Posts: 453
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:02 pm
- Location: Maine
#43 My life can be measured in hours. I serve by being devoured. Thin, I am quick. Fat, I am slow. When I am aglow wind is my foe. What am I?(3)
#44 A time when I'm green. A time when I'm brown. Both of these times cause you to frown. Just in between, for a very short while, I'm perfect and yellow and cause you to smile. What am I?(2)
#45 My thunder comes before my lightning. My lightning comes before my rain. My rain dries and burns all it touches. What am I?(3)
#46 Take my last four letters away and I still sound the same. What am I? (5)
#47 The more you take away the larger I become. What am I?(4)
Score leaders
Kingwaffles - 73
johnnyrotten - 42
heavycola - 16
Kernal_Kronic - 8
Evil pope - 6
JCole200 - 6
Mach - 6
Highborn - 5.5
TitusFinn - 5.5
hawkeye - 2
reverend_kyle - 1.5
#32 What can you be dealing with when you can add 11 to 2 and get 1? (3) time - johnny
#39 I can be seen when it’s cold, but not when hot.
You need me to live- take your last and you're not. (3)breath - johnny
#40 What object has keys that open no locks, space but no room, and you can enter but not go in?(4) keyboard - mach
#41 What is the only 4 letter word in the English language which ends in -eny?(2)deny- mach
#42 I am the ruler of shovels. I have a double. I am thin as a knife. I have a wife. What am I?(3) king of spades - johnny
#44 A time when I'm green. A time when I'm brown. Both of these times cause you to frown. Just in between, for a very short while, I'm perfect and yellow and cause you to smile. What am I?(2)
#45 My thunder comes before my lightning. My lightning comes before my rain. My rain dries and burns all it touches. What am I?(3)
#46 Take my last four letters away and I still sound the same. What am I? (5)
#47 The more you take away the larger I become. What am I?(4)
Score leaders
Kingwaffles - 73
johnnyrotten - 42
heavycola - 16
Kernal_Kronic - 8
Evil pope - 6
JCole200 - 6
Mach - 6
Highborn - 5.5
TitusFinn - 5.5
hawkeye - 2
reverend_kyle - 1.5
#32 What can you be dealing with when you can add 11 to 2 and get 1? (3) time - johnny
#39 I can be seen when it’s cold, but not when hot.
You need me to live- take your last and you're not. (3)breath - johnny
#40 What object has keys that open no locks, space but no room, and you can enter but not go in?(4) keyboard - mach
#41 What is the only 4 letter word in the English language which ends in -eny?(2)deny- mach
#42 I am the ruler of shovels. I have a double. I am thin as a knife. I have a wife. What am I?(3) king of spades - johnny
- max is gr8
- Posts: 3720
- Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:44 am
- Location: In a big ball of light sent from the future
#32 What can you be dealing with when you can add 11 to 2 and get 1? (3) an idiot
#39 I can be seen when it’s cold, but not when hot.
You need me to live- take your last and you're not. (3) air, water
#40 What object has keys that open no locks, space but no room, and you can enter but not go in?(4) canal
#42 I am the ruler of shovels. I have a double. I am thin as a knife. I have a wife. What am I?(3) trowel
#39 I can be seen when it’s cold, but not when hot.
You need me to live- take your last and you're not. (3) air, water
#40 What object has keys that open no locks, space but no room, and you can enter but not go in?(4) canal
#42 I am the ruler of shovels. I have a double. I am thin as a knife. I have a wife. What am I?(3) trowel
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
- dagreatbroomhead
- Posts: 453
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:02 pm
- Location: Maine
dude, they are two different words, the one he used was from whinge. the one you are thinking of is whine. read a book you illiterate fool. in this thread I DON'T STAND FOR "W" WORDS BEING MISUSED!No...they don't spell "whining", "whinging" in English AND if you haven't noticed. I did stop playing, since the answers where bogus.
I'm just saying. That's all. Sheesh.
- dagreatbroomhead
- Posts: 453
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:02 pm
- Location: Maine
- max is gr8
- Posts: 3720
- Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:44 am
- Location: In a big ball of light sent from the future
whinge Audio pronunciation of "whinge" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hwnj, wnj)dagreatbroomhead wrote:dude, they are two different words, the one he used was from whinge. the one you are thinking of is whine. read a book you illiterate fool. in this thread I DON'T STAND FOR "W" WORDS BEING MISUSED!No...they don't spell "whining", "whinging" in English AND if you haven't noticed. I did stop playing, since the answers where bogus.
I'm just saying. That's all. Sheesh.
intr.v. Chiefly British whinged, whing·ing, whing·es
To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.
Do you see where is says "Chiefly British"? That's ALL I was asking. I HONESTLY did not know. And as for ME being illiterate? You're the one with the bogus answers.
- KoolBak
- Posts: 7413
- Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest
Broom...I said "Baker's Dozen", which is 13....I can add 11 and 2 believe it or not......they say Baker's Dozen because if you buy a dozen whatevers directly from the baker, he throws in a bonus, making 13...look it up if you wish...very old saying......
EDIT: Here we go...
The oldest known source and most probable origin for the expression "bakers dozen" dates to the 13th century in one of the earliest English statutes, instituted during the reign of Henry III (r. 1216-1272), called the Assize of Bread and Ale. Bakers who were found to have short-changed customers could be liable to severe punishment. To guard against the crude punishment of losing a hand to an axe, a baker would give 13 for the price of 12, to be certain of not being known as a cheat. Specifically, the practice of baking 13 items for an intended dozen was to prevent "short measure", on the basis that one of the 13 could be lost, eaten, burnt or ruined in some way, leaving the baker with the original dozen. The practice could be seen in the guild codes of the Worshipful Company of Bakers in London
EDIT: Here we go...
The oldest known source and most probable origin for the expression "bakers dozen" dates to the 13th century in one of the earliest English statutes, instituted during the reign of Henry III (r. 1216-1272), called the Assize of Bread and Ale. Bakers who were found to have short-changed customers could be liable to severe punishment. To guard against the crude punishment of losing a hand to an axe, a baker would give 13 for the price of 12, to be certain of not being known as a cheat. Specifically, the practice of baking 13 items for an intended dozen was to prevent "short measure", on the basis that one of the 13 could be lost, eaten, burnt or ruined in some way, leaving the baker with the original dozen. The practice could be seen in the guild codes of the Worshipful Company of Bakers in London
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."
Neil Young....Like An Inca
AND:
Neil Young....Like An Inca
AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
- kingwaffles
- Posts: 718
- Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:05 am
- Location: Pseudopolis Yard, Ankh Morpork, Discworld
- kingwaffles
- Posts: 718
- Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:05 am
- Location: Pseudopolis Yard, Ankh Morpork, Discworld
- dagreatbroomhead
- Posts: 453
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:02 pm
- Location: Maine
Touche on the baker's dozen, i always thought it was just plain old 12, points to koolbak.
#43 My life can be measured in hours. I serve by being devoured. Thin, I am quick. Fat, I am slow. When I am aglow wind is my foe. What am I?(3)
#45 My thunder comes before my lightning. My lightning comes before my rain. My rain dries and burns all it touches. What am I?(3)
#47 The more you take away the larger I become. What am I?(4)
#48 I am a rock group that has four members, all of whom are dead, one which was assassinated. What am I?(4)
#49 What runs, but never walks, has a mouth but never talks?(2)
Score leaders
Kingwaffles - 73
johnnyrotten - 42
heavycola - 16
Kernal_Kronic - 8
Evil pope - 6
JCole200 - 6
Mach - 6
Highborn - 5.5
TitusFinn - 5.5
Subi - 5
Koolbak - 3
hawkeye - 2
wicked - 2
reverend_kyle - 1.5
#44 A time when I'm green. A time when I'm brown. Both of these times cause you to frown. Just in between, for a very short while, I'm perfect and yellow and cause you to smile. What am I?(2) banana - wicked
#46 Take my last four letters away and I still sound the same. What am I? (5)queue - subi
#43 My life can be measured in hours. I serve by being devoured. Thin, I am quick. Fat, I am slow. When I am aglow wind is my foe. What am I?(3)
#45 My thunder comes before my lightning. My lightning comes before my rain. My rain dries and burns all it touches. What am I?(3)
#47 The more you take away the larger I become. What am I?(4)
#48 I am a rock group that has four members, all of whom are dead, one which was assassinated. What am I?(4)
#49 What runs, but never walks, has a mouth but never talks?(2)
Score leaders
Kingwaffles - 73
johnnyrotten - 42
heavycola - 16
Kernal_Kronic - 8
Evil pope - 6
JCole200 - 6
Mach - 6
Highborn - 5.5
TitusFinn - 5.5
Subi - 5
Koolbak - 3
hawkeye - 2
wicked - 2
reverend_kyle - 1.5
#44 A time when I'm green. A time when I'm brown. Both of these times cause you to frown. Just in between, for a very short while, I'm perfect and yellow and cause you to smile. What am I?(2) banana - wicked
#46 Take my last four letters away and I still sound the same. What am I? (5)queue - subi
Last edited by dagreatbroomhead on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- dagreatbroomhead
- Posts: 453
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:02 pm
- Location: Maine
#45 My thunder comes before my lightning. My lightning comes before my rain. My rain dries and burns all it touches. What am I?(3)
#47 The more you take away the larger I become. What am I?(4)
#48 I am a rock group that has four members, all of whom are dead, one which was assassinated. What am I?(4)
#49 What runs, but never walks, has a mouth but never talks?(2)
#50 Take me out, scratch my head. I am black, but once was red. What am I?
Score leaders
Kingwaffles - 73
johnnyrotten - 42
heavycola - 16
Kernal_Kronic - 8
Evil pope - 6
JCole200 - 6
Mach - 6
Highborn - 5.5
TitusFinn - 5.5
Subi - 5
Koolbak - 3
Phobia - 3
hawkeye - 2
wicked - 2
reverend_kyle - 1.5
#43 My life can be measured in hours. I serve by being devoured. Thin, I am quick. Fat, I am slow. When I am aglow wind is my foe. What am I?(3) candle - Phobia
#47 The more you take away the larger I become. What am I?(4)
#48 I am a rock group that has four members, all of whom are dead, one which was assassinated. What am I?(4)
#49 What runs, but never walks, has a mouth but never talks?(2)
#50 Take me out, scratch my head. I am black, but once was red. What am I?
Score leaders
Kingwaffles - 73
johnnyrotten - 42
heavycola - 16
Kernal_Kronic - 8
Evil pope - 6
JCole200 - 6
Mach - 6
Highborn - 5.5
TitusFinn - 5.5
Subi - 5
Koolbak - 3
Phobia - 3
hawkeye - 2
wicked - 2
reverend_kyle - 1.5
#43 My life can be measured in hours. I serve by being devoured. Thin, I am quick. Fat, I am slow. When I am aglow wind is my foe. What am I?(3) candle - Phobia
- reverend_kyle
- Posts: 9250
- Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:08 pm
- Location: 1000 post club
- Contact:
heavycola wrote:And this is why religion can be dangerous. Becasue faced with scientific reasoning (evolution, the big bang etc), or the plain truth that china is not going to invade israel, you lot just stick your fingers in your ears and shout 'lalalala can't hear you, we're right, lalalala'
Fundementalists of ANY religion...
...just had to put that out there for a couple of reasons.. One to remind Jay that Christianity isnt the only religion that COULD BE right... second to show him we aren't just picking on Christianity.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
- kingwaffles
- Posts: 718
- Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:05 am
- Location: Pseudopolis Yard, Ankh Morpork, Discworld

