[Official] Montreal REVAMP [Quenched]
Moderator: Cartographers
Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.
also...id like to suggest the '+1 to downtown' be directly applied to downtown (with the new xml changes).
if rocksolid approves the change I think it would be a good addition.
if rocksolid approves the change I think it would be a good addition.
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Skittles! wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't see why a Re-Vamp of Montreal is nessacary. It looks good already, all you basically need to do is fix some pixels up.
Although I do think Canada needs a revamp the most out of anyone right now.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Nope, I'm not kidding. I don't believe that it should have a re-vamp. It's still better than the best map at Landgrab, and so I don't think it needs a re-vamp.Coleman wrote:Skittles! wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't see why a Re-Vamp of Montreal is nessacary. It looks good already, all you basically need to do is fix some pixels up.You're kidding right?
Although I do think Canada needs a revamp the most out of anyone right now.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
- Ruben Cassar
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
- Gender: Male
- Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
-
WidowMakers
- Posts: 2775
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
- Gender: Male
- Location: Detroit, MI
Ok those are great suggestions. I will not be able to update anything till after the weekend. Monday or Tuesday I will have an update with the suggestions above and any other ones that come by then.johloh wrote:i agree with hulmeys comments and...
-bridges could look better
-the small river text is too small and unreadable...
-id remove rivere des praires, bajo de valois, and rapides or make them more readable somehow.
-im not sure i like the region font too much, but its not terrible, i think it could be more readable
-the impassible mine in the middle (borders mtlnord, stleonard,ahuntsic, and villeray) doesnt look very 'miney' to me. maybe change the graphic for it? make it more brown? something?
-also the graphic of the twin hills (where the cross is) could be better. i know you got the skills widow to make it look like two hills instead of a forest.
also i think the small map is way too big. i know people have been pushing the size limits lately, but the purpose of the small map is to help out people with low resolution monitors. i think making the big one at 820px is no big deal...but the small one at 738px is too big in my opinion. thats practically a 'large map'.
Plus RockSolid noticed I have put an island in Valois Bay. He said that the island does not exist. It was on the map I used to make the borders but it is not on Google Earth. I will be removing that as well.

-
WidowMakers
- Posts: 2775
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
- Gender: Male
- Location: Detroit, MI
RockSolid has nothing to do with the changes of the actual XML code. As long as the Bonuses are the same, he does not mind.yeti_c wrote:I like this idea.johloh wrote:also...id like to suggest the '+1 to downtown' be directly applied to downtown (with the new xml changes).
if rocksolid approves the change I think it would be a good addition.
C.
In regards to the channging of the 3 4-way borders in the original map, does anyone have any issue with how RockSolid and I decided to change them?
They are listed in the first post. 4-ways have been a "no no" in the foundry since I have been here. These would be the only changes to the XML other than coordinates and the new downtown bonus setup.

- MR. Nate
- Posts: 951
- Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:59 am
- Gender: Male
- Location: Locked in the warehouse.
I think Johloh was talking about the +1 for downtown being applied to the downtown, instead of just being given to the holder. The reason that I think rocksolid would have to approve it because that would change gameplay.
As for the borders, I don't think that the gameplay is going to be significantly changed by the border changes, but in the interest of keeping it as close to the original as possible, is there any way you could institute something impassable right on the corner. In Keyogi's revamp of the middle east, Luxor, Eastern Desert, Darfur and East Nubia used to have 4 way corners, now there's a small lake there. It breaks up and defines the corners without changing the gameplay one iota. I've never been to Montreal, but are there statues, or famous buildings, or even walls in any of those areas that could be inserted to keep the original borders?
That being said, I think the map is beautiful. I will certainly be playing in Montreal more when it's finished.
As for the borders, I don't think that the gameplay is going to be significantly changed by the border changes, but in the interest of keeping it as close to the original as possible, is there any way you could institute something impassable right on the corner. In Keyogi's revamp of the middle east, Luxor, Eastern Desert, Darfur and East Nubia used to have 4 way corners, now there's a small lake there. It breaks up and defines the corners without changing the gameplay one iota. I've never been to Montreal, but are there statues, or famous buildings, or even walls in any of those areas that could be inserted to keep the original borders?
That being said, I think the map is beautiful. I will certainly be playing in Montreal more when it's finished.
AAFitz wrote:There will always be cheaters, abusive players, terrible players, and worse. But we have every right to crush them.
End the Flame Wars.MeDeFe wrote:This is a forum on the internet, what do you expect?
- Spiegelprime
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:59 pm
-
WidowMakers
- Posts: 2775
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
- Gender: Male
- Location: Detroit, MI
Here are the updates
*The hills with the cross look more like hills now.
*I made suspension bridges for all of the bridges. I know they are not suspension bridges everywhere but if I don't then the raods I had before are more accurate. I personally like the previous version with roads becasue it is less busy
*The small water text has been removed
*I made the larger water text italics like t he wording under the title
*I changed the territory font to regular instead of italics.
*And made the small version SMALL




*The hills with the cross look more like hills now.
*I made suspension bridges for all of the bridges. I know they are not suspension bridges everywhere but if I don't then the raods I had before are more accurate. I personally like the previous version with roads becasue it is less busy
*The small water text has been removed
*I made the larger water text italics like t he wording under the title
*I changed the territory font to regular instead of italics.
*And made the small version SMALL





-you changed the mine too
-I like the old bridges better too. but i still didnt like the old ones...
-mine/hills are looking good
-small text gone is good too
-I like the old bridges better too. but i still didnt like the old ones...
-mine/hills are looking good
-small text gone is good too
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
- MR. Nate
- Posts: 951
- Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:59 am
- Gender: Male
- Location: Locked in the warehouse.
I don't like the new bridges at all.
Don't hate me for nitpicking, but is there a way to do an arch bridge instead of a suspension bridge? It might accomplish what you're looking for without looking as dorky, plus, you could probably make one and scale it.
Just a thought.
Don't hate me for nitpicking, but is there a way to do an arch bridge instead of a suspension bridge? It might accomplish what you're looking for without looking as dorky, plus, you could probably make one and scale it.
Just a thought.
AAFitz wrote:There will always be cheaters, abusive players, terrible players, and worse. But we have every right to crush them.
End the Flame Wars.MeDeFe wrote:This is a forum on the internet, what do you expect?
-
WidowMakers
- Posts: 2775
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
- Gender: Male
- Location: Detroit, MI
Here is the latest update.
*I still have not redone the bridges.
*I sent an email to RockSolid about putting the +1 to downtown instead of letting the player deploy it. A territorial bonus for Downtown.
<country>
<name>Downtown</name>
−
<borders>
<border>Westmount</border>
<border>Plateau</border>
<border>Hochelaga</border>
<border>St-Lambert</border>
</borders>
−
<coordinates>
<smallx>434</smallx>
<smally>307</smally>
<largex>543</largex>
<largey>377</largey>
</coordinates>
<bonus>1</bonus>
</country>
XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... real_3.xml




*I still have not redone the bridges.
*I sent an email to RockSolid about putting the +1 to downtown instead of letting the player deploy it. A territorial bonus for Downtown.
<country>
<name>Downtown</name>
−
<borders>
<border>Westmount</border>
<border>Plateau</border>
<border>Hochelaga</border>
<border>St-Lambert</border>
</borders>
−
<coordinates>
<smallx>434</smallx>
<smally>307</smally>
<largex>543</largex>
<largey>377</largey>
</coordinates>
<bonus>1</bonus>
</country>
XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... real_3.xml





Remember - you'll have to take the bonus out of the Continents XML too (I didn't check - so don't know whether you did or not!)WidowMakers wrote:Here is the latest update.
*I still have not redone the bridges.
*I sent an email to RockSolid about putting the +1 to downtown instead of letting the player deploy it. A territorial bonus for Downtown.
C.

Highest score : 2297
-
WidowMakers
- Posts: 2775
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
- Gender: Male
- Location: Detroit, MI
Currently the XML is the same. I have not touched the bonus. If RockSOlid agrees I will remove teh "continent " bonus for Downtown and add the territory bonus shown above.yeti_c wrote:Remember - you'll have to take the bonus out of the Continents XML too (I didn't check - so don't know whether you did or not!)WidowMakers wrote:Here is the latest update.
*I still have not redone the bridges.
*I sent an email to RockSolid about putting the +1 to downtown instead of letting the player deploy it. A territorial bonus for Downtown.
C.
I really don't know what you mean. If you want it to be more realistic, you won't see it. Ideas?hulmey wrote:think you can do alot better with the cross. It looks very awakard and horrid (sorry) Embarassed
Also the brown cow pat which is not a terrioty...Can you do something with that?
As far as the quarry goes. I changed it to brown per another request. It was gray. Suggestions. There is not a lot you do with a rock pit from that far away.
Is that all? Are there other suggestions? If I get these 2 things fixed (assuming there is a better way) does anyone have any more ideas or suggestion?

Yeah the park looks really good now. My only problems now is the bridges (I have no idea why people were complaining about that... I think the old bridges looked quite awesome). Also, the brown quarry looked fine when it was grey (to be honest, i didn't even notice it before.. now it's too obvious and imposing)
So far, great map, again, a huge improvement from the old map
So far, great map, again, a huge improvement from the old map
The map's looking good, but I have a couple of little things for discussion.
The large grey impassable area seems to stand out in contrast to the park and brown area. It might be as simple as adjusting the brightness of the area, but I think something could be done to make this area look a little better.
The other little thing is the clashing of army numbers and territory colours. It's only really a problem for me with Ile Bizard and the aqua number, which could be fixed with a slight change of tone for the island. I'd also like to see a yellow number on South Shore just to make sure that's not going to be a problem.
The large grey impassable area seems to stand out in contrast to the park and brown area. It might be as simple as adjusting the brightness of the area, but I think something could be done to make this area look a little better.
The other little thing is the clashing of army numbers and territory colours. It's only really a problem for me with Ile Bizard and the aqua number, which could be fixed with a slight change of tone for the island. I'd also like to see a yellow number on South Shore just to make sure that's not going to be a problem.
-
WidowMakers
- Posts: 2775
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
- Gender: Male
- Location: Detroit, MI
I talked to RockSolid about this in the beginning. He does not want army circles.Molacole wrote:I think this map would look better with army circles. A whitish\clear circle might look good.
I'll try and give some more imput in a couple days or so.
Also the XML territory bonus of +1 to Downtown is not what RockSolid wants. He want s the XML to stay the way that it is.
Here is the update with XML numbers and the old bridges and old gray quary.

I can work on the airport area. I will also try to get the cyan territories more differentiated from the cyan numbers.






