Conquer Club

Battle For Australia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby KEYOGI on Tue May 22, 2007 7:14 pm

I wonder if perhaps an outline/stroke to the land and possibly ships would help at all? There's just something that doesn't seem quite right about the map but I can't put my finger on it. The outline/stroke may be it, it may not. :?
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby DiM on Wed May 23, 2007 3:55 am

KEYOGI wrote:I wonder if perhaps an outline/stroke to the land and possibly ships would help at all? There's just something that doesn't seem quite right about the map but I can't put my finger on it. The outline/stroke may be it, it may not. :?

there's nothing wrong with the map. and i'm totally against the outline stroke. it would clutter the map even more.

i say you should work on the large version and the xml and you're ready for forging.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 23, 2007 5:35 am

KEYOGI wrote:I wonder if perhaps an outline/stroke to the land and possibly ships would help at all? There's just something that doesn't seem quite right about the map but I can't put my finger on it. The outline/stroke may be it, it may not. :?

How does this sit...below...Keyogi
I have place a black border on the ships, and applied a bevel to the land/islands...it does kind of lift the land out of the water, but some of it is very hard to see because of the islandic nature of this map.

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Wed May 23, 2007 5:50 am

I think Tiwi Is. should be a little clearer.
Captain Gilligan

Postby KEYOGI on Wed May 23, 2007 5:59 am

Nah, the emboss looks bad... it's that whole problem of the water looking higher than the land again. I just thought some more definition between the land and the water would have been better.

And DiM, I know you're feeling hard done by and you have every right to counter any of my suggestions, but on this occassion you are wrong. :wink:

Also, last I checked you weren't responsible for Final Forge or Quenching.

Postby Gilligan on Wed May 23, 2007 6:00 am

He has his Age of Merchants
Captain Gilligan

Postby DiM on Wed May 23, 2007 6:14 am

KEYOGI wrote:And DiM, I know you're feeling hard done by and you have every right to counter any of my suggestions, but on this occassion you are wrong. :wink:

i only said there's no need for outlines as that would only clutter the map. am i not allowed to post my opinion if it contradicts yours? and neither me nor you can say that i'm wrong. in this field of map making many things are artistic. some i like some i don't. i feel an outline would do this map harm by cluttering it. you probably feel an outline would help it become clearer. we are both right because we view the map from different points. maybe somebody will come and say the map needs to be pink. he is right too. but in the end the most popular choice will be chosen. that won't make it right for everybody it will just make it right for the majority. so don't tell me i'm wrong as long as i don't tell you. :wink:

and no i'm not responsible for forging but neither are the dozens of people that yell quench quench on various threads. it's our right to express our opinions on the development stage the maps are in. i feel this map could be ready for final forge after cairns provides the large version and the xml. what's wrong with that? :shock:
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 23, 2007 7:13 am

KEYOGI wrote:Nah, the emboss looks bad... it's that whole problem of the water looking higher than the land again. I just thought some more definition between the land and the water would have been better.

And DiM, I know you're feeling hard done by and you have every right to counter any of my suggestions, but on this occassion you are wrong. :wink:

kewl now i can try something else....maybe just a thicker outline on the islands/land. i'll see what i can do later....
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 23, 2007 7:19 am

Gilligan wrote:I think Tiwi Is. should be a little clearer.

Gilligan...thanks for the suggestion...I have no idea how to make them clearer...to me they are as clear as glass. I can't make them bigger because that would distort the whole area, and i consider they are very adequately marked. Sorry. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Wed May 23, 2007 3:31 pm

cairnswk wrote:

Gilligan...thanks for the suggestion...I have no idea how to make them clearer...to me they are as clear as glass. I can't make them bigger because that would distort the whole area, and i consider they are very adequately marked. Sorry. :)

I was just thinking for it to be to the left of the circle, since the color of the names correspond to the continent it belongs to.If it is on the left, it won't get mixed up with Mullingimbi. Am I making any sense?
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 23, 2007 3:51 pm

Gilligan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

I was just thinking for it to be to the left of the circle, since the color of the names correspond to the continent it belongs to.If it is on the left, it won't get mixed up with Mullingimbi. Am I making any sense?

oh that...i'll c what i can do.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 24, 2007 3:47 pm

KEYOGI wrote:Nah, the emboss looks bad... it's that whole problem of the water looking higher than the land again. I just thought some more definition between the land and the water would have been better.

Keyogi...take a look at Australia, East Indies and western japanese islands...i have applied a simple 4 pixel edge in the same colour as the army shadow edge...does this work for you? if it does, i'll do the rest of the map.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 24, 2007 3:49 pm

Gilligan wrote:I was just thinking for it to be to the left of the circle, since the color of the names correspond to the continent it belongs to.If it is on the left, it won't get mixed up with Mullingimbi. Am I making any sense?

cairnswk wrote:oh that...i'll c what i can do.

Gilligan...is this any clearer in the image above?
Private cairnswk

V28 Updates 26May 2007

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 26, 2007 6:06 am

V28 Update:
* 4 pixel outlines placed under all land
* font smoothed as non anti-aliased version does not translate up at all
* small changes to overall framework

Small

Large
Private cairnswk

Postby KEYOGI on Sat May 26, 2007 6:48 am

Nice update cairns, those outlines look superb! :D

Hmm... I am quite happy with the texture you have for the sea, I am just wondering if it may look better a little less obvious. I know I'm nit-picking, but remember that's a good thing. :wink:

I know we've discussed the title and legend before, but there's still something that's slightly bugging me about it. Perhaps black is too strong a contrast colour from the map and the coloured images in the legend. Maybe a faint texture or shade of grey might look better?

Another little thing is the double outline in the title, it's doing weird things to my eyes. Maybe play around with some settings and effects and see what you can come up with. I'm not sure how to specifically resolve the issue, but I have faith in your abilities.

Last little thing... I promise. The Australian Navy flag in the legend would maybe look better if it was centred between the two ships. At the moment it's leaning towards the Imperial Japan side. If it was to lean in any direction, it would lean in the other way. :wink:

v29 Update

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 26, 2007 7:31 am

KEYOGI wrote:Nice update cairns, those outlines look superb! :D
Thanks Keyogi

Hmm... I am quite happy with the texture you have for the sea, I am just wondering if it may look better a little less obvious. I know I'm nit-picking, but remember that's a good thing. :wink:

No....its alright....you're not nitt-picking...I'm pleased though that it is happening now before we go further with englargement etc...I reduced it to 50% in the v29 map below....i think you'll be happier with that

I know we've discussed the title and legend before, but there's still something that's slightly bugging me about it. Perhaps black is too strong a contrast colour from the map and the coloured images in the legend. Maybe a faint texture or shade of grey might look better?

Yes we have...and it's not that i don't want to change it...but believe me black is the best colour here in concept with all the other colours...i have been through the entire colour spectrum for this and they all look attrocious....in earlier post I even had textrues there...but the black so far has been the best for this design....which i hope is nearing an end.

Another little thing is the double outline in the title, it's doing weird things to my eyes. Maybe play around with some settings and effects and see what you can come up with. I'm not sure how to specifically resolve the issue, but I have faith in your abilities.

This is called Goldmine font. I like it...it fits the overall gameboard concept that we discussed earlier and I believe other forum members are also happy with it...otherwise they would have called for change previously. It's meant to stand out like that...and i don't think there is any other space to bevel/emboss whatever there.

Last little thing... I promise.
Promise!!! :lol:
The Australian Navy flag in the legend would maybe look better if it was centred between the two ships. At the moment it's leaning towards the Imperial Japan side. If it was to lean in any direction, it would lean in the other way. :wink:

Yes I re-aligned/centred that area down there...it should look much better now....in v29 below.

Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Sat May 26, 2007 7:46 am

cairnswk wrote:
Gilligan wrote:I was just thinking for it to be to the left of the circle, since the color of the names correspond to the continent it belongs to.If it is on the left, it won't get mixed up with Mullingimbi. Am I making any sense?

I think it is clearer, but I was thinking above the island.
Captain Gilligan

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat May 26, 2007 1:35 pm

Hm, alright. I'm liking the way things are shaping up. I've got a few things that are itchin' my skin. I'm not sure if these are just image quality problems, or if they are something else, so forgive me.

Is it just me, or does the interior of the army shadows look a little fuzzy at times? Maybe it's the waves of the ocean coming through that look odd? I'm not sure.

On the map, especially around names and sea routes, there is some weird pixely fuzziness. Near USS Yorktown, for example. And Greewich Is. And Molucca. And Birdam. And the route from Yorktown to Guadal. And other places. But again, I'm not sure if it's lower image quality, or what exactly.

One thing you might want to consider, is upping the font size for the numbers in the bonus legend, but that just might make them look out of place then.

Also, I feel your sig is a little cramped underneath the boat. Have you considered maybe repositioning it somewhere else? You have some empty space in the top right corner, but then it might distract from the map a little, but you could make it blend and flow with the background nicely. Or you could maybe manage putting it below the ships or the planes in the bonus legend, but that might be too much of a squeez also.

Also, could you show me the other (Large/Small) version of the map?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 26, 2007 1:45 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Hm, alright. I'm liking the way things are shaping up. I've got a few things that are itchin' my skin. I'm not sure if these are just image quality problems, or if they are something else, so forgive me.

Is it just me, or does the interior of the army shadows look a little fuzzy at times? Maybe it's the waves of the ocean coming through that look odd? I'm not sure.

On the map, especially around names and sea routes, there is some weird pixely fuzziness. Near USS Yorktown, for example. And Greewich Is. And Molucca. And Birdam. And the route from Yorktown to Guadal. And other places. But again, I'm not sure if it's lower image quality, or what exactly.

One thing you might want to consider, is upping the font size for the numbers in the bonus legend, but that just might make them look out of place then.

Also, I feel your sig is a little cramped underneath the boat. Have you considered maybe repositioning it somewhere else? You have some empty space in the top right corner, but then it might distract from the map a little, but you could make it blend and flow with the background nicely. Or you could maybe manage putting it below the ships or the planes in the bonus legend, but that might be too much of a squeez also.

--Andy

Andy...while i'm adjusting these items....last post you made you said you were going to comment on gameplay...anything there?
Private cairnswk

v30 Updates

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 26, 2007 2:15 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Is it just me, or does the interior of the army shadows look a little fuzzy at times? Maybe it's the waves of the ocean coming through that look odd? I'm not sure.
there was fuzziness coming through the army shadow from the waves...i've fixed that and changed the transparency to 60%...i don't think it needs to be any higher than that otherwise the arny circles start looking out of place and too bright.

yes that has been fixed...it was an issue created from underlaying all the land with a thick outline.

font uped to 11....can't go any higher than that otherwise N New Guinea disappears oof the legend plane.

moved to top right corner.

as below Andy.

Small

Large
Last edited by cairnswk on Sat May 26, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Sat May 26, 2007 2:16 pm

You can barely read your name :?
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 26, 2007 2:16 pm

Gilligan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Gilligan...moved it to above the island...and also deleted one of those Tiwi islands as it was in the road and redundant...
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 26, 2007 4:01 pm

Gilligan wrote:You can barely read your name :?

Thanks Gilligan...but does the cartographers name have to stand out so much? i did fix that font and the grey has improved.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 26, 2007 4:16 pm

I'm writing the XML for this map now, and will be developing Neutral Starting Territories for the map.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Sat May 26, 2007 4:29 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Gilligan...moved it to above the island...and also deleted one of those Tiwi islands as it was in the road and redundant...

Try it northwest of the island.

Boy, am I being a bitch.
Captain Gilligan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas