Conquer Club

WWII - Eastern Front-statistic page 1 [Quenched]5000 finish

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Qwert on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:13 pm

Andrew its a mix of names and every names is good translation. No mistake.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndrewB on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:21 pm

qwert wrote:Andrew its a mix of names and every names is good translation. No mistake.

Sorry but there is a mistake there.

You write Odessa, which is Russian name for Ukrainian city.
Also you write Ternopil, which is Ukrainian name for Ukrainian city.

So it up to you, but you must choose 1 column from following list. You CANNOT pick and choose from both columns. You should be consistent with your names.

Code: Select all
Russian         - National Language
Transliteration   Transliteration
--------------------------------
Kiev            - Kyiv
Odessa          - Odesa
Lvov            - Lviv
Ternopol        - Ternopil
Polotsk         - Polatsk
Cherkassy       - Cherkasy
Dnepropetrovsk  - Dnipropetrovsk

I suggest you to pick Russian transliteration, because in USSR Russian was a state language.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:25 pm

AndrewB wrote:
I suggest you to pick Russian transliteration, because in USSR Russian was a state language.

I agree with him on this one.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby AndrewB on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
AndrewB wrote:

I agree with him on this one.

I thought we had that agreement already too with qwert ;) Apparently something got lost in translation. ;)
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby Qwert on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:32 pm

Why you only look ukrainian names, what about Saaremaa,Bialystok
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:33 pm

Ok, we can solve these problem, you can find all russian names in these map translated in english :wink:
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndrewB on Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:25 pm

qwert wrote:Ok, we can solve these problem, you can find all russian names in these map translated in english :wink:

I, myself, am not sure about those cities. But I did find old Russian map of WWII.

Accordingly to that map, in Russian transliteration correct spelling is:

Sarema
Belostok

If you know Russian you can transliterate it yourself ;)

PS. And by the way you were right, there was no city called "Donetsk" that time, it was called "Stalino" that time. So your territory name for "Donets" river makes much more sense.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby nagerous on Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:36 pm

hey Ruben earlier you argued that i was wrong when i said it should be lvov not lviv you agree with lvov now?
Captain nagerous

Postby sam_levi_11 on Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:42 pm

i like the names as they are
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby AndrewB on Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:46 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote:i like the names as they are

I appreciate that. As I was saying most non-Russian speakers of this site would not care about 1 letter in the name, which means nothing to them.

But if you are Russian speaking person, the names will look inconsistent, and it will be right in your face.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby hulmey on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:03 pm

This site is a english language speaking site....

And everything should be in english, i dont its really open up for discussion...

For example as a english speaker KIEv is the proper transaltion.

SO LETS GET ON WITH IT PLS
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby AndrewB on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:33 pm

hulmey wrote:This site is a english language speaking site....

And everything should be in english, i dont its really open up for discussion...

For example as a english speaker KIEv is the proper transaltion.

SO LETS GET ON WITH IT PLS

You don't get it, Simon, do you? Have I ever said it should be written in Russian??? It is all about translation into English.

Just for you, Simon, once again:

There are 2 different translation into English. One is from Russian, and another is from the national language of the particular city. This process is called transliteration: A systematic way to convert characters in one alphabet or phonetic sounds into another alphabet.

For the sake of this map it is better to keep Russian-English transliteration. Because those cities were part of the USSR, when the war has started. In USSR state language (official language of the country) was Russian. Using national language transliteration would be historically incorrect.

I am tired of this argument, I keep on repeating myself.

If city names are unimportant for you, would you allow me, for whom it matters to express my concern?
Last edited by AndrewB on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby hulmey on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:36 pm

so what if its historically incorrect!!!!

I understand what your saying.....Why should qwert just use the Russian language??

He should use the language translation of that particular city or country....Russia might have conquered the country but i bet these conquered people still spoke their dialect and not RUSSIAN!!!
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby AndrewB on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:39 pm

hulmey wrote:so what if its historically incorrect!!!!

I understand what your saying.....Why should qwert just use the Russian language??

He should use the language translation of that particular city or country....Russia might have conquered the country but i bet these conquered people still spoke their dialect and not RUSSIAN!!!

So, why are you against the word: "Kyiv", then? Because this is how "these conquered people" are speaking!
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:06 pm

Why all this bickering about the names again? Let it be Andrew. If someone cares I posted a WWII map with the proper English names that should be used some pages back. I know Qwert looked at it and confirmed that he would be using those.

So the argument is over I guess. Leave the names as they are and focus on other aspects of the map.

And btw Ukraine is a divided country to this day. The people in Donetsk (East Ukraine) speak Russian not Ukrainian. The people in Lviv (West Ukraine) use Ukrainian and are fanatical about the use of Ukrainian. They have even tried to ban music in Russian from being played in public places. If it continues like this Ukraine will be split in half. And to add insult to injury these people are ethnically the same...

But that does not even matter for the purposes of this map as it's based in WWII and things were different back then.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:13 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
qwert wrote:well if i can find site for citi names of USSr from 1941 then i will know what to do.

Here you go:
http://www.us.oup.com/us/brochure/0195182200/maps/019530764Xbarbarossa.jpg

Note Kiev and Odessa.

For the benefit of those who missed the map when I originally posted it way back on page 81. I believe this is the actual original map that Qwert's CC map is based upon. Yours is Operation Barbarossa right Qwert?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby AndrewB on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:24 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Why all this bickering about the names again? Let it be Andrew. If someone cares I posted a WWII map with the proper English names that should be used some pages back. I know Qwert looked at it and confirmed that he would be using those.

So the argument is over I guess. Leave the names as they are and focus on other aspects of the map.

And btw Ukraine is a divided country to this day. The people in Donetsk (East Ukraine) speak Russian not Ukrainian. The people in Lviv (West Ukraine) use Ukrainian and are fanatical about the use of Ukrainian. They have even tried to ban music in Russian from being played in public places. If it continues like this Ukraine will be split in half. And to add insult to injury these people are ethnically the same...

But that does not even matter for the purposes of this map as it's based in WWII and things were different back then.

I wished that map of yours, Ruben, would have all the cities. Unfortunately it didn't :( That is why I have to keep on posting the proper spelling.
Last edited by AndrewB on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:41 pm

How many % borders must bee smooth?

Its yours decision
23% [ 12 ]
15%
5% [ 3 ]
20%
30% [ 16 ]
25%
9% [ 5 ]
30%
30% [ 16 ]

Total Votes : 52
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby boberz on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:29 am

i think it has to be consistent so either russian, ukranian translations or all things in ukraine ukrainian translation and all things in russia russian translation but i do not know the regions so dont wish to comment on correct spellings.

Hulmey your recent posts merely highlight your ignorance of what has been going on and if you didnt have 400 posts you would be a newb but as you do you are officialy a noob
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby Skittles! on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:33 am

90 pages! Going on to 100?
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby boberz on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:39 am

i will laug if it does make 100 pages seeing as w havent got anything majorly done in between pages 60-89

Postby hulmey on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:55 am

Boberz considering i joind conquer club before you i dont know how you can call me a newbie!!!

I think i know alot more about map making and tactics considering your rank here in conquer club ( your probably better at us making the tea luv).

And finally if you hadnt noticed Eastern Map is spread over 4 countries....And i think Qwert is using the local to english translation for each part of the map where these different countries are (correct me if im wrong Qwert)...

so who's the noob now :wink:
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby boberz on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:14 am

newb = not having been on site long

noob = being on site a while and still not understanding basic things or making inconsistent comments/claims.

the fact that i said that you were not a newb and you reckon i called you exactly that says more about your knowledge of noobishness.

Correct your rank is better than mine and your knowledge of the game is probably also better and your comments about gameplay/visual improvements are much appreciated. However when i ask people to put in more feedback your the first to say (we shouldnt comment until the poll is over) however your the one saying "can we get on with it please. The comments that are noobish are the ones where you ignore what has already been said in the thread and repeat a view that has already been disproved, for examples read throught the equal rights for map authors thread

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:33 am

No wonder it reached page 90. Apart from the history and language lessons there have also been flame wars in this thread. :lol:
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ninja-Town on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:41 am

yeah thanks boberz for your input... now the map should be quenched now that we know the difference between newb and noob.
Corporal 1st Class Ninja-Town

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas