Conquer Club

WWII - Eastern Front-statistic page 1 [Quenched]5000 finish

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Lt. Valerian on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:25 pm

Ok, why don't you guys just read the third option on the poll? It says "don't change nothing" which would indicate they liked the map as is. They are not neutral in any way. Their votes count. Right now it is neck and neck, let's see what happens.

Although seriously, this foundry system is pretty screwy. There is such a slight difference between the two that it really should be left up to Qwert, who is after all the CREATOR of the map. Shouldn't he be allowed to make his own choices regarding such trivial artistic decisions as whether or not to fade the lines out and make them less distinct and harder to see? Honestly... This system is run by an elite few who force their way on map makers who should be allowed a free hand to create as they wish. Can't we just call this war off and post the bloody map? It is fine as is and is long overdue from its rightful place among the better maps currently on Conquer Club. This whole process is just so frustrating because it is very inefficient and unfair.
Major Lt. Valerian

Postby AndrewB on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:26 pm

qwert wrote:Leningrad Army
-Narva
-Novgorod
-Leningrad
-Demyansk
-Smolensk
-Polatsk
-Velikiye Luki

Moscow Army
-Rzhev
-Bryansk
-Mozhaysk
-Moscow
-Tula
-Oryol
-Voronezh
-Kursk
-Kharkiv
-Belgorod

Stalingrad Army
-Stalingrad
-Don
-Rostov
-Mozdok
-Maykop
-Novorossiysk
-Stavropol
-Krasnodar

Von Rundstedt Army
-Cherkasy
-Dnipropetrovs
-Uman
-Odesa
-Isthmus of Perekop
-Donets
-Sevastopol

Von Bock Army
-Lviv
-Ternopil
-Brest
-Homyel
-Minsk
-Kyiv
-Poltava

Von Leeb Army
-Saaremaa
-Tallinn
-Białystok
-Vilnius
-Riga

All look great, just 1 tiny thing:

Dnipropetrovs actually should have k in the end (Dnipropetrovsk)

And it is up to you, but you can leave Perekop as it is right now, without word "Isthmus". It is known place, and most of the people just call it Perekop.
Last edited by AndrewB on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby Qwert on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:32 pm

Well LT,Valerian you dont folow my topic, and if you want to see all pages, you will see that same small group of people give hes "opinion"(demand) for my map, and its look that i these map create only for these small group of man.
Andrew you right i forgot these 1 letter.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndrewB on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:38 pm

AndrewB wrote:And it is up to you, but you can leave Perekop as it is right now, without word "Isthmus". It is known place, and most of the people just call it Perekop.

And you will save yourself some place there too for the army circle ;)
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby Qwert on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:48 pm

I think that is very large terittory and i can put easy these names.

Ukrainian: Перекопський перешийок-Isthmus of Perekop
You see in ukrainian its not only Perekop
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:10 pm

AndrewB wrote:
qwert wrote:Ok andrew if you say Odesa then i will change name from Odessa to Odesa ok.

Ok, great, so it is going to be Ukrainian-English spelling?

Then all three: Lviv, Odesa and Kyiv should be changed. ;)

Wait a sec. As far as I know Kyiv is Ukrainian. In English it has always been known as Kiev not Kyiv. Unless you haven't noticed he isn't using Moskva but Moscow. Also in English it's Odessa not Odesa.

From the BBC's country profile:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/count ... 102303.stm

So unless he changes Moscow to Moskva (which he won't as he is using English) it's Kiev and Odessa in English. I am certain of that.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Guiscard on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:16 pm

qwert wrote:Guiscard if people dont want to see any change, why you can acept these? If 100 people dont want to see any change and 5 want, do you think that these 5 right and these 100 wrong, any way you want too tell me if 51% be for yours opcion you will acept these, but if 51 % be for my option you will not acept these. Where is these democraty?

OK I'm out again.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Qwert on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:17 pm

well its look that these must be Kiev or i become confuse?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:19 pm

AndrewB wrote:
qwert wrote:Ok andrew if you say Odesa then i will change name from Odessa to Odesa ok.

Ok, great, so it is going to be Ukrainian-English spelling?

Then all three: Lviv, Odesa and Kyiv should be changed. ;)

Why use Ukarinian language in the Latin alphabet? That's what you are saying here. He has not used Russian in the Latin alphabet for the Russian cities or else it would have been Moskva not Moscow.

He should use plain English just as was decided several pages ago. Kyiv is just Ukrainian written in the Latin alphabet. The English word is Kiev, Odessa, etc. You had them all right qwert...I cannot believe no one else knows that in English it's called Kiev and not Kyiv!
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:20 pm

qwert wrote:well its look that these must be Kiev or i become confuse?

Yes I gave you a link from the BBC. It's Kiev and Odessa. And believe me the BBC are not wrong on this one.

What Andrew gave you are Ukrainian names in Latin alphabet not the proper English names. Revert to the proper ones please.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Qwert on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:28 pm

I return Kiev and Odessa.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:30 pm

qwert wrote:I return Kiev and Odessa.

Good man. And what's great is that we reached page 80!

Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaa!
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Guiscard on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:31 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:

Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaa!

It'll be 880 before it gets quenched...
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Guiscard wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:

Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaa!

It'll be 880 before it gets quenched...

Impossible. I predicted it would end in the 80 something pages. So it will be quenched between p80 to p89. Now stop posting Guiscard cause I have reached my target. :)
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Qwert on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:44 pm

anybody know record in longest topic in CC?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndrewB on Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:24 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:

Yes I gave you a link from the BBC. It's Kiev and Odessa. And believe me the BBC are not wrong on this one.

What Andrew gave you are Ukrainian names in Latin alphabet not the proper English names. Revert to the proper ones please.

Excuse me, Ruben, do you speak either of the languages? Do you know any history of that region? No? I do. You should not be be giving away facts which you don't know and cannot back up.

There are 2 transliteration: Kiev and Kyiv, one is Russian another is Ukrainian.

The English people know it as Kiev, just because it was under USSR for 74 years (and centuries before that under Russian Empire), and the state language of USSR was Russian. And it was spelled as Kyiv just since 1991. That is the first time in the history (since medieval times) that all of the Ukraine, within its current borders, became independent. And Ukrainian became its state language.

Would you trust CIA? Then you should check out here:

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/up.html

See also "Kiev or Kyiv?"

Your example of Moskva and Moscow has absolutely nothing do to with it. Please read more here: http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewtopic.php?t=5026 if you want to understand the etymology of English name for Moskva.

And let me repeat my self again. I don't care which transliteration qwert will decide to use, but it must be consistent. Probably using Russian transliteration is more appropriate, because in the end of the day it is map of WWII, when there was no Ukraine.

So if qwert wants to use the Russian transliteration, then the only change he needs to do is to change Ternopil to Ternopol (That is what I originally suggested).
Last edited by AndrewB on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby Samus on Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:28 am

qwert wrote:anybody know record in longest topic in CC?

Samus wrote:You know, this thread already had the Foundry record a long ass time ago. The second longest was the World 2.0 map thread with 38 pages, we have long since schooled that weak sauce.
Major Samus

Postby AndrewB on Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:31 am

qwert wrote:I think that is very large terittory and i can put easy these names.

Ukrainian: Перекопський перешийок-Isthmus of Perekop
You see in ukrainian its not only Perekop

You are correct, the proper geographical name for that area is "Isthmus of Perekop".

That is just the same that the correct geographical name for United Kingdom is "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" and not England nor Britain nor UK, as most of the people would call it.

"Isthmus of Perekop" is a formal name, "Perekop" is an informal name.

But as I said it is not a big deal, it is up to you. ;)
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby Nikolai on Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:38 am

GAHHH... :evil: :evil: :evil:
What's hard to understand about this? A vote for 3 is not a vote for no change. As I already mentioned, it only says no change because qwert is assuming a vote for no difference means a vote for no change, WHICH IT DOES NOT! A vote for no difference means that the person thinks it would be no better one way or the other. WHICH IS A PASS! It means that the voter doesn't care if the lines are smoothed or jagged! So if a million people voted option 3, all that would mean is that a million people see no difference and DON'T CARE whether the lines are left alone or smoothed! If people wanted to vote for option A, they'd vote for option A. Apologies to qwert, but you really, really can't shuffle the poll wording to force anyone who doesn't see a difference to vote for option A.
Thanks to Andy for seeing it. I begin to understand why his title includes zookeeper.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I was in a bad mood, but my point stands.
Sergeant 1st Class Nikolai

Postby Samus on Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:45 am

Nikolai wrote:GAHHH... :evil: :evil: :evil:
What's hard to understand about this? A vote for 3 is not a vote for no change. As I already mentioned, it only says no change because qwert is assuming a vote for no difference means a vote for no change, WHICH IT DOES NOT! A vote for no difference means that the person thinks it would be no better one way or the other. WHICH IS A PASS! It means that the voter doesn't care if the lines are smoothed or jagged! So if a million people voted option 3, all that would mean is that a million people see no difference and DON'T CARE whether the lines are left alone or smoothed! If people wanted to vote for option A, they'd vote for option A. Apologies to qwert, but you really, really can't shuffle the poll wording to force anyone who doesn't see a difference to vote for option A.
Thanks to Andy for seeing it. I begin to understand why his title includes zookeeper.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I was in a bad mood, but my point stands.

Option B has 51% right now anyway.
Major Samus

Postby AndrewB on Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:55 am

Samus wrote:
Option B has 51% right now anyway.

And and other 2 have 47% LOL. ;)
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby sam_levi_11 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:58 am

the longest thread is "the longest thread" thread

its at 1100 pages roughly i think, we just chat about anything
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:21 am

AndrewB wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:

Excuse me, Ruben, do you speak either of the languages? Do you know any history of that region? No? I do. You should not be be giving away facts which you don't know and cannot back up.

There are 2 transliteration: Kiev and Kyiv, one is Russian another is Ukrainian.

The English people know it as Kiev, just because it was under USSR for 74 years (and centuries before that under Russian Empire), and the state language of USSR was Russian. And it was spelled as Kyiv just since 1991. That is the first time in the history (since medieval times) that all of the Ukraine, within its current borders, became independent. And Ukrainian became its state language.

Would you trust CIA? Then you should check out here:

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/up.html

See also "Kiev or Kyiv?"

Your example of Moskva and Moscow has absolutely nothing do to with it. Please read more here: http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewtopic.php?t=5026 if you want to understand the etymology of English name for Moskva.

And let me repeat my self again. I don't care which transliteration qwert will decide to use, but it must be consistent. Probably using Russian transliteration is more appropriate, because in the end of the day it is map of WWII, when there was no Ukraine.

So if qwert wants to use the Russian transliteration, then the only change he needs to do is to change Ternopil to Ternopol (That is what I originally suggested).

I know the history. I know that Kyiv is Ukrainian and Kiev is from Russian using the Latin alphabet.

First of all as you stated at that time Russian was used as Ukraine was just a republic of the USSR so it should be Kiev. Even you agree with that. So that should be enough to close this argument once and for all. It's historical accuracy that we are after and this is a World War II map.

Second in the anglophone world no one writes Kyiv when referring to Kiev. They always use Kiev. Check newspapers, TV stations, books, etc. So why should we use Kyiv? As for your link I trust much more the BBC for accuracy than the CIA Factbook. Proof of that is all the incorrect data they have on my own country.

On your link about Moscow. That's hardly reference, a link from a forum? Anyone could write what they want there. Anyway my point is that Москва is translated to Moskva using the Latin alphabet, however in English we use Moscow. I think even Qwert can confirm this as he uses the Cyrillic alphabet.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Qwert on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:54 am

well if i can find site for citi names of USSr from 1941 then i will know what to do.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:55 am

"Thes a waste of time, i dont see diferent DONT CHANGE NOTHING"
I belive that people when vote for these dont want to see new change of map.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas