Conquer Club

WWII - Eastern Front-statistic page 1 [Quenched]5000 finish

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Lone.prophet on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:41 pm

let them blend in more with the background is better i think
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby MarVal on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:43 pm

The maps looks fine and nice.
I hope we can play it soon.

I only have one suggestion and that is the flag with the swatstika.
You can hurt the feelings of many people if you use the swatstika (the German WWII cross). I'm from the Netherlands and in our country and many more in Europe its forbidden to use, wear or make a statement with the swatstika, because of the history of it. And i think its even forbidden in Germany itselfs.

Grtz
MarVal
Image highest score: 2157 (Major) / Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Postby Lone.prophet on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:44 pm

u can just put the german flag black yellow red up there
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby Guiscard on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:45 pm

MarVal wrote:The maps looks fine and nice.
I hope we can play it soon.

I only have one suggestion and that is the flags.
You can hurt the feelings of many people if you use the swatstika (the German WWII cross). I'm from the Netherlands and in our country and many more in Europe its forbidden to use, wear or make a statement with the swatstika, because of the history of it. And i think its even forbidden in Germany itselfs.

Grtz
MarVal

I don't think it would be a problem really as its in a historical context. He's not making any kind of statement, its the flag of the country at that time.

Qwert - I'm not a big fan of those army circles. maybe try more transparent ones?
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Qwert on Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:05 pm

some part of map got darken colors and blue numbers will be dificulty to read and these way must put gray colors.

I look in these map like part of history, and you see these Flag in all enciklopedia like part of history of Germany on age 1933-1945.
I look for these map in google images like German battle flag ww2.
But if people say to remove i vill do imidiatle
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MarVal on Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:12 pm

Guiscard wrote:I don't think it would be a problem really as its in a historical context. He's not making any kind of statement, its the flag of the country at that time.

You're right, its a historical context. Only use the swastika with WWII its not just a swastika. Its the swastika of the statement of Hitlers movement.

I'm just pointing of the statement of the swastika in WWI. So, if the map is in Final Forge or even playable we must abandoned al negative influence on the map. With ot without the swastika-flag I shall play, but we must beware of the statement people have of the swastika. So please read below the purpose/statement of the swastika in WWII:

Western use of the motif, along with the religious and cultural meanings attached to it, was subverted in the early twentieth century after it was adopted as the emblem of the Nazi Party (German: Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei). This association occurred because Nazism stated that the historical Aryans were the forefathers of modern Germans and then proposed that, because of this, the subjugation of the world by Germany was desirable, and even predestined. The swastika was used as a conveniently geometrical and eye-catching symbol to emphasize the so-called Aryan-German correspondence and instill racial pride. It was a symbol of the Aryan peoples (among many others) and Hitler's ideals of an Aryan race.
Since World War II, most Westerners know the swastika as solely a Nazi symbol, leading to incorrect assumptions about its pre-Nazi use in the West and confusion about its sacred religious and historical status in other cultures.

By the way, I looked it up and the symbol is also forbidden in Germany.
I hope we can have an adult discussion about this. It isn't something to wipe it off immediately.

Grtz
MarVal
Image highest score: 2157 (Major) / Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:20 pm

MarVal wrote:
Guiscard wrote:I don't think it would be a problem really as its in a historical context. He's not making any kind of statement, its the flag of the country at that time.

You're right, its a historical context. Only use the swastika with WWII its not just a swastika. Its the swastika of the statement of Hitlers movement.

I'm just pointing of the statement of the swastika in WWI. So, if the map is in Final Forge or even playable we must abandoned al negative influence on the map. With ot without the swastika-flag I shall play, but we must beware of the statement people have of the swastika. So please read below the purpose/statement of the swastika in WWII:

Western use of the motif, along with the religious and cultural meanings attached to it, was subverted in the early twentieth century after it was adopted as the emblem of the Nazi Party (German: Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei). This association occurred because Nazism stated that the historical Aryans were the forefathers of modern Germans and then proposed that, because of this, the subjugation of the world by Germany was desirable, and even predestined. The swastika was used as a conveniently geometrical and eye-catching symbol to emphasize the so-called Aryan-German correspondence and instill racial pride. It was a symbol of the Aryan peoples (among many others) and Hitler's ideals of an Aryan race.
Since World War II, most Westerners know the swastika as solely a Nazi symbol, leading to incorrect assumptions about its pre-Nazi use in the West and confusion about its sacred religious and historical status in other cultures.

By the way, I looked it up and the symbol is also forbidden in Germany.
I hope we can have an adult discussion about this. It isn't something to wipe it off immediately.

Grtz
MarVal

The whole swastika banning is stupid. We should be aware of the past and not bury our heads in the sand and forget about it.

I really hope Germany learns to face its past and removes the useless ban. After all a ban on the swastika is a form of state control, so in a way banning it seems like an emulation of the Nazi regime's principles.

In this map it's in a historical context as well so I don't see anything wrong with it. And this is coming from a person whose country was the most bombed area per square metre of World War II by the Axis.

Also remember that the swastika was already used in Roman times. The Nazis just copied that. American troops even had it on some of their uniforms in WWI as a good luck charm if I am not mistaken.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Guiscard on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Ok let me just say something here:

This is a World War Two Map in which you are battling over either Nazi or Russian territory! No-body is going to get the wrong idea, its part of the factual history of the period and this is an accurate(ish) map of the Eastern front. He's not glorifying the symbol, its used in context and its accurate. Nazi symbols ARE allowed in any country in a factual context e.g. in textbooks.

p.s. This is a little ironic as in another thread I'm arguing for CDman's swastika avatar to be removed. :D
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:30 pm

Guiscard wrote:Ok let me just say something here:

This is a World War Two Map in which you are battling over either Nazi or Russian territory! No-body is going to get the wrong idea, its part of the factual history of the period and this is an accurate(ish) map of the Eastern front. He's not glorifying the symbol, its used in context and its accurate. Nazi symbols ARE allowed in any country in a factual context e.g. in textbooks.

p.s. This is a little ironic as in another thread I'm arguing for CDman's swastika avatar to be removed. :D

I am on a personal campaign to free the swastika symbol from its Nazi legacy. The swastika has been in use for thousands of years. It's a pity Hitler ruined its meaning in WWII.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Guiscard on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:33 pm

You're on a loser there. Its never going to happen, and its not just your personal campaign. To be honest I'm not overly bothered if people want to use a swastika outside of the context of nazisim (e.g. in an obviously non-nazi weaving, painting etc. using it as the symbol of peace) but I think we still have to be careful how we use it elsewhere, as it has so much pain attached to it.

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:38 pm

Guiscard wrote:You're on a loser there. Its never going to happen, and its not just your personal campaign. To be honest I'm not overly bothered if people want to use a swastika outside of the context of nazisim (e.g. in an obviously non-nazi weaving, painting etc. using it as the symbol of peace) but I think we still have to be careful how we use it elsewhere, as it has so much pain attached to it.

Unfortunately you are right. I think that it will be a few more generations before that can happen.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Guiscard on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:40 pm

Ok back to the topic anyway. Qwert would you maybe try some slight transparency just to prove it won't work? Or just slightly darker shadows. or maybe a thin border around them?

Postby Qwert on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:00 pm

well i put a little transparen and its now good i think.
In these wersion i remove flags.
as Ruben say my country have huge people casulty, and i look these only in history way. My grandfather was Yugoslav Kingdom soldier and capture from German army. He hold hem for all war in captivity,and he loose leg after Aly bombarding Germany.

Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Guiscard on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:04 pm

I like these army shadows much better Qwert. Good update.

Postby hulmey on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:46 pm

ok come on do you know how many people stalin...Millions....So shall we remove stalingrad?

Its a historical game...Put the maps back on i liked them :)
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Qwert on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:11 pm

I realy dont know what to do with flags?
Maybe these not good idea.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:13 pm

qwert wrote:I realy dont know what to do with flags?
Maybe these not good idea.

I liked them as well. Don't know what to tell you...maybe add another poll. However they are not important for gameplay after all. Just an eye candy.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Bavarian Raven on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:05 pm

its fine
Sergeant 1st Class Bavarian Raven

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:31 pm

Qwert, I must say I'm liking the look of this map.

The legend looks pretty good, I wouldn't do much changing there.

One thing you might consider, is thickening up the country division lines from 1px pencil to something slightly thicker.

Regarding the army shadows, I'd also slightly increase their size. Two digit numbers can barely fit in there, and I think you've ample room to increase the size of the circle a bit. You might also want to play with the darkness, as they might be a little too gray. Perhaps a something a little more 'see through' would be slightly better.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Qwert on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:33 am

Andy i dont understand these word Thickening-Thicker?
Can you explane me better to understand these. :?:
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Guiscard on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:40 am

I simply didn;t like the look of the flags... nothing to do with what they stand for.

As for thickening he means he thinks the borders should be more like the ones around the outside of the playing area or between continents - more weight to them. Not as much as those, though.

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:01 am

qwert wrote:Andy i dont understand these word Thickening-Thicker?
Can you explane me better to understand these. :?:

that it must be bigger than 1 px
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Qwert on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:22 am

i see, i dont know all english words.
Thanks.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:14 pm

I must say that i dont see maps in CC with 2px terittory borders, and my opinion its that map with 2px terittory borders look bad, but if you say to put 2px i will put.
Of course 2px for Country borders its ok.

Last edited by Qwert on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:23 pm

qwert wrote:I must say that i dont see maps in CC with 2px terittory borders, and my opinion its that map with 2px terittory borders look bad, but if you say to put 2px i will put.
Of course 2px for Country borders its ok.

[img=http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/8670/2px6ji.png]

if it doesn't look good, try to blurr it
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas