Conquer Club

Oceania [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Oceania Map v6.4 [D,Gp] - 03/16/2009 Pg1-15

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:59 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
gimil wrote:I have a sneaky suspision that there will be a little nit picking to come still

The one from me - can you nudge the bonuses over 5ish px right? I know it's crazy nitpicking but it would be more balanced and not be as close to the fishy :P
Great work nobody ;)

On the big or the small one?
Or both two?

Thank you .44.

A SPECIAL THANKS TO PIKKIO (the graphic), THIS STAMP IS DEDICATED TO YOU ;)
THANK YOU!!!! =D>
FF we're coming :D
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: Oceania Map v6.4 [D,Gp,Gr] - 03/16/2009 Pg1-15

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:10 pm

I said both. But really a nitpick.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby pikkio on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:09 pm

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAH!! =D> :mrgreen:

thanx to all!

now i will work on the nitpick and leave the scene to thenobodies with the xml. good work! ;)
Sergeant 1st Class pikkio

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Last but surely not the least....

THANK YOU GIMIL
=D>

and now let's work on XML

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:02 am

There seems to be a fish missing on the large :-s

Great Map =D> Good Work guys ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:00 am

Thank you sam! =D>

I missed it in the first post! :oops:

Updated with the correct image. ;)

Postby sailorseal on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Nice job! I am really excited to see this get quenched because this was the first map that I closely watched in the Main Foundry, never caught it in the drafting room...
AWESOME!
Cook sailorseal

Postby oaktown on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:51 pm

looking good here - I just called in a pre-Forge review. :D

The Wallis & Futuna - Western Samoa connection could be confused as being islands. Space them out a bit more perhaps?
Captain oaktown

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:58 pm

oaktown wrote:looking good here - I just called in a pre-Forge review. :D

The Wallis & Futuna - Western Samoa connection could be confused as being islands. Space them out a bit more perhaps?

on both maps?

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:09 pm

I really do think this map has been done superbly, very clean and colourful and done to perfection. In my honest opinion i believe this map thoroughly deserves to advance to the final forge.

I also have one little request, i don't know if a new zealander has told you the names for the territories of New Zealand. But if i were the mapmaker i would change a few of the names to better reflect the countries major cities.

• Change Southland to Dunedin
  • Change Canterbury to Christchurch
  • Change Northland to Auckland

Congrats guys, move this map over :)
Captain samuelc812

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:17 pm

samuelc812 wrote:I really do think this map has been done superbly, very clean and colourful and done to perfection. In my honest opinion i believe this map thoroughly deserves to advance to the final forge.

I also have one little request, i don't know if a new zealander has told you the names for the territories of New Zealand. But if i were the mapmaker i would change a few of the names to better reflect the countries major cities.

The territories were named as you said but community asked us to change them in past
here
Sounds strange to me back on names another one time ;)
they don't like that some territories have city names and other state ones.

But we're going to fix some others things:

bonuses a little bit on the right
There's a last bad pixel on T in wellington
A little more space between wallis & Futuna - western samoa
Last edited by thenobodies80 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby tlane on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:26 pm

gimil wrote:I have a sneaky suspision that there will be a little nit picking to come still but this is fab enought for me!

the only change i would make is the attack route to Marquesas, could you change it so the dots don't go through the islands, it looks ok in the other places you did it, but in this case i think it needs to change.

this looks great, that is like the only change i see and you dont even need to change it if you dont want to.

tlane
Private tlane

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:31 pm

tlane wrote:
gimil wrote:I have a sneaky suspision that there will be a little nit picking to come still but this is fab enought for me!

the only change i would make is the attack route to Marquesas, could you change it so the dots don't go through the islands, it looks ok in the other places you did it, but in this case i think it needs to change.

this looks great, that is like the only change i see and you dont even need to change it if you dont want to.

tlane

I'll try , i like to see how it fit.

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 pm

i'd like the colors to be a little more bold and distinct. they're a little hard to notice
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:25 pm

With so many very small island territories surrounded by a dark shade of blue, it makes it hard on the eyes. The islands kinda get lost in all that color. Those that know me, know that I love color, but for this particular map it just does not work. at the beginning of this thread, this was mentioned and you made an improvement by lightening up the water a bit. try it with even a lighter shade. Something closer to World 2.1

I think that you will see the whole map pop. and all those islands will be easier to see, it should also be much kinder to the eyes.
note; you will then be able to make the land areas as colorful as you see fit.

I like this map, and look forward to playing on it. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby mibi on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:25 am

Looks good to me. Nice work.
Captain mibi

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:39 am

whitestazn88 wrote:i'd like the colors to be a little more bold and distinct. they're a little hard to notice

really? :-s
i don't think they are hard to notice :? ....but i like to take this decision with pikkio, so i can give you a definitive answer in few time, but we like colors very much and i'm no so sure we will change them.
Anyways could be a rasonable thing to try...i can give you a response in few time. ;)

porkenbeans wrote:With so many very small island territories surrounded by a dark shade of blue, it makes it hard on the eyes. The islands kinda get lost in all that color. Those that know me, know that I love color, but for this particular map it just does not work. at the beginning of this thread, this was mentioned and you made an improvement by lightening up the water a bit. try it with even a lighter shade. Something closer to World 2.1

Absolutely Rejected! Now i accept only small nitpick not making a new version! As oaktown asked to you this is a final review ...."Keep in mind that at this point we're looking for refinement, not an overhaul.", you can't arrive after a 4 months work period (this is your first post on my map ) and ask us to go back only because YOU don't like a thing.
Please ask for reasonable things, sea colors was decided by community choice in past with a long discussion on it, if we have to sodisfy all your personal opinions (wrong) no maps will be quenched.

Anyways...this is the actual list of changes asked:
Green are confirmed and these modification will be on the next update
Orange we are talking about (we need time)
Red are rejected ( with a motivation)

- Change names (samuelc812 sugg) REJECTED - We already change NZ names in past
    - Marquesas air routes (tlane sugg) - MAYBE
    - More space between wallis&futuna - western samoa (oaktown sugg) - MAYBE
    - bonus table a little more on the right (.44 sugg) OK
    - bolder colors? (whitestazn88 sugg) MAYBE
    - lighter sea (porkenbeans sugg) REJECTED - We already change water in past and we locked it after a long period asking
    - Remove one pixel on T in wellington name OK

Thank you for all suggestions and critics.
:)
A new update come soon

Thenobodies80

Postby yeti_c on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:00 am

samuelc812 wrote:I really do think this map has been done superbly, very clean and colourful and done to perfection. In my honest opinion i believe this map thoroughly deserves to advance to the final forge.

Disagree here Sam - all of the territories on the map are not cities - why should New Zealands territories be cities?
(Note Wellington is a city and a region)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:58 am

I'm not a massive fan of the font used - some of the words can appear fairly pixely...

Would it be possible to clean them up with some tighter aliasing?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:26 am

Please try to learn how to accept constructive criticism. I think this is a good map. I only suggest a color refinement.

Here is the reasoning behind my sugg. And please take note that I just received the pm yesterday informing me that my opinion was requested.

When you have a map such as yours, with most of the canvas being water, it is better to make it a lighter shade than the land. It is considered "negative space" and should be made to allow your subject to come forward. This is especially critical when you have such small dots of land. If you are interested in what I am trying to say, simply take a few moments to adjust your color levels accordingly. Make the water a very light shade, and the land a very rich color. This contrast will allow your land to come forward and pop. ...Try it !
You attempted it once at the beginning of this thread, but you did not take it far enough. If you remember, that was the first thing that people suggested. These first impressions are dead on. "New eyes" are very useful, use them. They are far more objective because they have NOT been starring at it for hours upon hours.

Again, I like this map. Good luck with it. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:48 am

porkenbeans wrote:Please try to learn how to accept constructive criticism. I think this is a good map. I only suggest a color refinement

Please try to understand this: I don't like your idea.
Sorry i don't critic you but i absolutely don't like the light water.

porkenbeans wrote:Here is the reasoning behind my sugg. And please take note that I just received the pm yesterday informing me that my opinion was requested.

I received the same message...you're not expecially Mr. Map Factory!, you simply subscribed it!

porkenbeans wrote:When you have a map such as yours, with most of the canvas being water, it is better to make it a lighter shade than the land. It is considered "negative space" and should be made to allow your subject to come forward. This is especially critical when you have such small dots of land. If you are interested in what I am trying to say, simply take a few moments to adjust your color levels accordingly. Make the water a very light shade, and the land a very rich color. This contrast will allow your land to come forward and pop. ...Try it !

I asked to community if they prefer the dark one or the lighter one in past ( take a look to past versions and past polls, waters are more lighter!)
They choose darker, and now darker is. We make sea lighter twice and now we like how it is.
Is simple: I don't change colors.I don't change water.

porkenbeans wrote:You attempted it once at the beginning of this thread, but you did not take it far enough. If you remember, that was the first thing that people suggested. These first impressions are dead on. "New eyes" are very useful, use them. They are far more objective because they have NOT been starring at it for hours upon hours.

I accept critics but i don't like this one.
Water and color are locked and we don't change them!
Or you have the ownership of this map?
And finally about to learn to accept critics, read all posts since november to now, we happily accepted the 99% of suggestion
You are a part of the 1% of rejected. I think that you don't accept my reject.
But pikkio and me talked about this and we don't want the layout you want.
If you want that layout make your own map!

For me this talk ends now (this is not the flame war forum so i don't want start a flame).

About what said .C:

We try to make territories names better on small map ;)

Other suggestions or critics?
Last edited by thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:18 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Please try to learn how to accept constructive criticism. I think this is a good map. I only suggest a color refinement.

Here is the reasoning behind my sugg. And please take note that I just received the pm yesterday informing me that my opinion was requested.

When you have a map such as yours, with most of the canvas being water, it is better to make it a lighter shade than the land. It is considered "negative space" and should be made to allow your subject to come forward. This is especially critical when you have such small dots of land. If you are interested in what I am trying to say, simply take a few moments to adjust your color levels accordingly. Make the water a very light shade, and the land a very rich color. This contrast will allow your land to come forward and pop. ...Try it !
You attempted it once at the beginning of this thread, but you did not take it far enough. If you remember, that was the first thing that people suggested. These first impressions are dead on. "New eyes" are very useful, use them. They are far more objective because they have NOT been starring at it for hours upon hours.

Again, I like this map. Good luck with it. :D

Please try to understand this: I don't like your idea.
Sorry i don't critic you but i absolutely don't like the light water.
I asked to community if they prefer the dark one or the lighter one in past ( take a look to past versions and past polls, waters are more lighter!)
They choose darker, and now darker is. We make sea lighter twice and now we like how it is.
Is simple: I don't change colors.I don't change water.
I accept critics but i don't like this one.
Water and color are locked and we don't change them!
Or you have the ownership pf this map?
And finally about to learn to accept critics, read all posts since november to now, we happily accepted the 99% of suggestion
You are a part of the 1% of rejected. I think that you don't accept my reject.
But pikkio and me talked about this and we don't want the layout you want.
If you want that layout make your own map!
For me this talk ends now (this is not the flame war forum).

About what said .C:

We try to make territories names better on small map ;)
Other suggestions or critics?
There is no need to get your panties in a knot. All you needed to say was THANK YOU.
I was asked to lend my opinion, and I honestly did just that. You have misinterpreted my generosity as an attack. I understand that we speak different languages, and I will consider it a failure of communication. In the future please try to concern if someone is trying to help or hinder. The former was my intent. You have thanked me with pure rudeness.
...NOT NICE. :(
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Sorry i'm not attacking you! but is this foundry process that make me mad!I hope to finish this map soon... :(
It's impossible to sodisfy all members.
In this way i lost my map!
You asked me to modify something on which foundry members have spent a long time and we modified all to follow this suggestions.
When you 'll reach this stage with one of your projects you can feel the frustration we feel now.
So your words sound for me as try to re-open a closed and decided point.
You will know what mean destroy a month of hard work because "Mr.somebody" is going to suggest something.
Is not possible!
A person could redo a map in the first part of foundry and not when this map was stamped for something.
It's a endless loop! Redo this redo that, and again, again, again....

But is time to stop to this useless discussion:
Thank you for your suggestion but we decided the colors in past as community asked, so i'm sorry, but i have to reject your request.
I didn't want to offend you.Simply pay attention on what you ask to a mapmaker, your word can stop his work for a long time.
As said i simply don't like your idea, because all you asked was decided by community in past.
Sorry for the misunderstood. ;)

Thenobodies80

Postby pikkio on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:25 pm

the problem is that we are too bored with this things. we modified the map too many times and sometimes we modified it and the return to the old style after some other critics. now we are very bored and angry, cause it's impossible to make a map that satisfy everyone's feel, and it's insufferable for a mapmaker to change things every time that a person ask it, expecially when one arrive and say to change a thing that not too far we changed after some people asked it.

however, when i made the first light and dark version, i made many other test version and didn't post it. at the same, when i changed the sea the last time, i tried several colour's tone, so i now that this is the better and make it more lighter don't have the awesome effect that you think. so: water and colours are fixed. if some people don't like it, they will don't paly with this map, cause many other people like this colours (ad so do us).

for the words it's quite the same..
first, i'm too impressed thinking that someone really critic the map for some little imprecisions of the font.. another time, i'm asking to me if it's possible that all the badder map quenched in past had the same "cure" from the foundry..
by the way, the problem is that a font so little (12 cpt) made that problems and it not depends from me. i tried to change some other things (like the letters spacing and letter's width) trying to have better looking result, but it's pretty casual and i may go by trial.
i tried with some other fonts, but it's difficult to find a font more clear and thick than the arial narrow. the only thing i can do is to make it bigger (14 it's the minimun to don't have imprecisions), but in this mode, the map will be caotic and less readable (the small map, i mean).
also, a few days ago, someone tell me that the words are too pixelous and to change the antialiasing. i made it soft (i don't know if it's the right translation..) and then someone else tell me that the words are too blur.. so now i made the antialiasing net (like it was before i changed it..), and the next person that tell me something about the antialiasing will make me crazy. it's obviusly and it's not my fault.

i'm sorry for the bad answer that me and thenobodies give to the people from a few days, but i think that we did the best with a so difficult map (several very little islands and a big country..) and it's time to keep out the personal likes and feels (we discuss about it for several month, trying to listen the majority's feel), and critic only the structural problems. thanx at all.
Sergeant 1st Class pikkio

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:02 pm

tomorrow i will post a new version with the fix as best as we can ;)

Something new?

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas