Conquer Club

WWII - Eastern Front-statistic page 1 [Quenched]5000 finish

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:10 am

I meant that names like Moscow Army should have the same amount of space to both left and right, inside that rectangle.
Major Marvaddin

Postby boberz on Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:32 am

i am liking this map now possibly get rid of the green in the title othere than that i like it.
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby Qwert on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:28 pm

Dont forget Moscow Army have 10 letter,Stalingrad Army have 14 letter and Leningrad Army have 13, and i try to rectangle of russian country be equal, that mean you can have equal text heigh and width.

Wisse if i put blurr in these then picture be much bad,and be mist.
I improve font and look good,why you want to change in something what definitly not improve map.
These 1 can be done.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:13 pm

i change title
terittory lines black

Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Wisse on Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:30 pm

i like it more with the black lines :)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby qeee1 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:13 pm

I like the black lines. I like the white text without shadow. I like the bigger title.

Map looks good to go to me now. Perhaps the title could stand out more, but not a big deal.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Qwert on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:29 pm

Now its not need to vote becouse i change size and colors of text
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:36 pm

This map is now making good forward progress.

I think the text still needs some sort of shadow or effect done to it to give it some depth, it's very flat and plain at the moment.

While those German continent names have improved, I think they would still benefit from being shorter. It'd probably look better and more consistent if they could be reduced to fit on one line. Removing "Northern, Central and Southern" from each should help with that.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby nyg5680 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:47 pm

looks very good
Sergeant 1st Class nyg5680

Postby Qwert on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:03 pm

KEYOGI wrote
This map is now making good forward progress.

I think the text still needs some sort of shadow or effect done to it to give it some depth, it's very flat and plain at the moment.

While those German continent names have improved, I think they would still benefit from being shorter. It'd probably look better and more consistent if they could be reduced to fit on one line. Removing "Northern, Central and Southern" from each should help with that.

I try 3-d and no good, then i try shadow and again no good.
Simple white color its best solution for map.
If i remove "Northern,Central and Southern" what will stay, some names who people not understand, maybe its better to erase names of comander, becouse for me these names have no sence without hes ranks FIELDMARSHAL.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:34 pm

It's looking better Qwert! The people have some good ideas.

A few things I will say...

Can you remove the random black lines behind the names of the continents in the bonus legend? I think that will help it look a little more professional.

Also, consider thickening the country divison lines...don't make them real thick like the border you have, but maybe slightly bigger than that of the pencil tool.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:12 am

qwert wrote:If i remove "Northern,Central and Southern" what will stay, some names who people not understand, maybe its better to erase names of comander, becouse for me these names have no sence without hes ranks FIELDMARSHAL.

The way it is, its a name who people dont understand, plus an obvious information that is not needed, lol. I think the names of commanders are pretty sufficient... they really seem german names. :)
Major Marvaddin

Postby Lt.Mustard on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:28 am

yes i agree with marvaddin, leave the commander names. they add a great feel to the whole map
Okay, lecture's over - time for some Feedback!
Cook Lt.Mustard

Postby Teya on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:44 am

I think the "northern, central and southern" parts of the army names look silly. And maybe still a little bit cluttered.

Also, you have completely ignored my comment about the "starred territories" It seems wrong. I think it needs to be changed.

I dont agree that a simple white is best for the map either. It needs some sort of effect.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Lt.Mustard on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:48 am

i disagree with Teya about the star territories, i think it makes sense and is another great feature of the map, but the font color could be a little more eye-catching
Okay, lecture's over - time for some Feedback!
Cook Lt.Mustard

Postby Teya on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:50 am

I mean how it is written. The concept I like. "holding all three starred territories" is just bad english. Something like "holding all three stars" would be better.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 am

qwert wrote:I try 3-d and no good, then i try shadow and again no good.
Simple white color its best solution for map.
If i remove "Northern,Central and Southern" what will stay, some names who people not understand, maybe its better to erase names of comander, becouse for me these names have no sence without hes ranks FIELDMARSHAL.

I get that you've tried options and they didn't work, that doesn't mean you should give up on it though and settle for a font style that is bland. You don't have to post every change you make, just find an option yourself that looks better. I know you've put a lot of work into the map, but so does everyone else making a map. You've got to keep trying to improve the map.

I think the names make sense without ranks and it'll make sense without Northern, Central or Southern. If you're unhappy with the changes suggested, then again I think another name would be better. There's got to be something better to name them.

Something that's really standing out against the white font is how dark those army circles are. I think that perhaps using a white/light grey shade would work better. It's going to be very difficult to read blue and green numbers on those shadows.

Keep up the hard work, I look forward to playing the map. 8)

Postby Qwert on Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:36 am

teya wrote
I never said I hate your maps.
here you previos answer

Teya
Posted: 30 Dec 2006 21:40 Post subject:
Like what? Another europe map? I personally like the idea of this map. Im getting sick of maps like eastern front, 1914, europe apocalypse, europa v2.0. All so similar and not offering anything new or different.

I have ful right to ignore yours sugestion, you dont like my maps and you definitly dont want to help me.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Teya on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:17 am

Teya wrote:All Im saying is I think if you are giving yourself a time limit of 30 days to complete a map you are wasting your time. You are better off putting all your efforts into 1 map. I personally think your eastern front map has been your best. Why not keep working on that until its finished then try another map.

I said in your ancient egypt map that I think your eastern front map is your best. I quite like this map. Yes, I am sick of europe maps. There were way too many in the making. You yourself had 2 in progress. This map is more on a focused area. It is also alot more attractive.

You say you can ignore me? Im posting suggestions that could improve your map. I dont think you can ignore me. Notice a few pages back I suggested to take out fieldmarshall from the army names? Im not the only 1 that said it so you couldnt ignore me. If I have legitiment suggestions, you wont be final forged.

Where in my last couple of posts have I given indication that I dont want to help?
I'll say it again "holding all three starred territories" is just bad english. Something like "holding all three stars" would be better.
And I will keep saying it until you address the problem..... Like a decent map maker should.

You got over the text hurdle. Listen to all suggestions to get your map finished. If you do, this map should go live sooner rather than later.

Also, in your quote, I said Im getting sick of europe maps, Not "I hate all qwerts maps."
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Qwert on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:29 am

AndyDufresne wrote

It's looking better Qwert! The people have some good ideas.

A few things I will say...

Can you remove the random black lines behind the names of the continents in the bonus legend? I think that will help it look a little more professional.

Also, consider thickening the country divison lines...don't make them real thick like the border you have, but maybe slightly bigger than that of the pencil tool.

--Andy

1.finish
2.finish

Marvaddin wrote
The way it is, its a name who people dont understand, plus an obvious information that is not needed, lol. I think the names of commanders are pretty sufficient... they really seem german names. Lt.Mustard wrote
yes i agree with marvaddin, leave the commander names. they add a great feel to the whole map

Solve

Keyogu i think i find solution of text design, i put shadows behind letters and look like text slightly 3-d but looks good(see Rundstedt terittory)

Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Lanceyboyuk on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:38 am

looks gd to me cant be that much left now.
Sergeant 1st Class Lanceyboyuk

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:42 am

That looks a lot better.

The German armies in the legend are a lot less cluttered, and I think it still makes perfect sense. I had a look at Eastern Front on Wikipedia and there's no mention of Field Marshall before these officers names.

The shadows to the text are good, just gives that bit of contrast to the background. I did notice that Uman is still slightly bigger than the other territory names in von Rundstedt Army. :D

I agree with Teya on the "Starred Territories" issue, I guess it's just a bad translation. I think "Hold All Three Stars" would be sufficient.

Postby hulmey on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:05 am

wow this map rocks
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby qeee1 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:46 am

The new font looks good, could we see a version with it on the whole map?
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Qwert on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:42 am

Keyogi you dont look good, in wikipedia says:
ARMY GROUP NORTH comander FIELDMARSHAL Wilhelm Ritter von Leeb
ARMY GROUP cENTER comander FIELDMARSHALFedor von Bock
ARMY GROUP SOUTH comander FIELDMARSHAL Karl von Rundstedt.

Teya
Posted: 30 Dec 2006 21:40 Post subject:
Like what? Another europe map? I personally like the idea of this map. Im getting sick of maps like eastern front
, 1914, europe apocalypse, europa v2.0. All so similar and not offering anything new or different[/color].

these is not yours words?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas