Conquer Club

WWII - Eastern Front-statistic page 1 [Quenched]5000 finish

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:35 pm

looks great qwert! Final forge at least, I cant see anything bad.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:51 pm

That looks so much better. Don't you agree?

I'd still like to see some different effects applied to it though, perhaps just a small white outer glow. The font itself is fine, but applying a different effect will make it better to read in those darker continents.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:12 pm

Much better. I agree on having an alternative with white text to see which one looks better. Same fonts, white colour.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Teya on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:19 pm

Finally.
Well done. Wouldn't it have been easier to do that 10 pages ago?

It looks way better but I'm not sure the font fits with the map. I dont think the shadow works either. Have you tried other fonts at all? But dont put multiple fonts on the map to test, that just looks messy.

With the army names, I know this has been talked about lots and you have done lots to change it. But can you make the german ones Von leeb army, von bock army and von rundstedt army? Fieldmarshal and northern/central/southern make the key very cluttered. Especially when you compare them to the russian ones.

This map is looking much better and it is good you finally changed the font size. It was holding this map back. Now you can move forward and hopefully even finish it.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Qwert on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:39 pm

You want to see white text.

Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:46 pm

Nice. I think I prefer the white text.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Guiscard on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:48 pm

I think the white text is clearer as well. Not for the continent names, however. I think black for those and white for the territories.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:51 pm

Guiscard wrote:I think the white text is clearer as well. Not for the continent names, however. I think black for those and white for the territories.

I agree...or perhaps white with a black border for the continents.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:12 pm

White is definately better, but maybe if the grey shadow was black it would look even better.

The bonus legend text could remain black or maybe it will look better with the black shadows also. I also agree with Teya on the German names. If you remove the words "Field Marshal" and the North, Central, South from each it will look less cluttered and much better.

I'm glad to see this map is finally moving forward again. One more thing on the text, it seems the territory names in Leningrad Army may still vary in size, might even just be Narva. It may also be my eyes, anyone else notice this?
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Guiscard on Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:15 pm

I think their similar enough to save the argument.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:00 pm

Yes white is better....

thank you qwert.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Teya on Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:01 pm

I agree that Narva seems slightly bigger.
Also, in the key "holding all three starred territories" Starred isnt right. Maybe "holding all three stars"
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby socralynnek on Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:03 pm

White looks very good, I think. At least on the countries.

If you maybe make the grey background on the legend (the one with the Southern Army) alittle bit darker, then it is also perfect on the legend for me.
Corporal 1st Class socralynnek

Postby qeee1 on Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:06 pm

I prefer black, white stands out too much. But hey, you can't win em all. Unless a bunch of other people want to rally around my cause (I'll be the hero of course), I'll let this one slide.

EDIT: PS. thanks for the resize.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:09 am

KEYOGI wrote:If you remove the words "Field Marshal" and the North, Central, South from each it will look less cluttered and much better.

I suggested this many time ago, in fact.

I prefer the black letters... AND, without those shades. They are almost invisible in many areas, and are not helping to make the text more readable. By the way, isnt possible to make the countries names a bit larger?

In the legend, names are not centralized. And no options to the compass? Maybe one pointing just North... this one looks like a joystick button. :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Postby Qwert on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:16 am

teya wrote
I never said I hate your maps.

here you previos answer

Teya
Posted: 30 Dec 2006 21:40 Post subject:
Like what? Another europe map? I personally like the idea of this map. Im getting sick of maps like eastern front, 1914, europe apocalypse, europa v2.0. All so similar and not offering anything new or different.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:32 am

My opinion that white its beter to not have shadow.

I remove:
-fieldmarshal from legend,
-names shadow from map, only in legend dont remove

Marvadin you ask from previos you opinion that names must be in teritory, and i change some teritory that names can stand in.
If i text size put biger,Then names will be over teritory.

I got 2 option for compass-to stay or to remove from map and be map whit no compass, becouse i dont se any map from WW2 who have compass.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby nyg5680 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:40 am

the white only looks better on certain colored continents but certaintily not on the gray i would definately stay wit the black but im not sure if u want or need the shadow
Sergeant 1st Class nyg5680

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:41 am

If they cant be bigger, then ok. Good you changed the german continents names, but I still think "central", etc, are unnecessary.

How about remove the compass and use that space to make the title bigger and more readable? And please move Sarema name from over that beautiful sub :)

Is it on purpose that names in legend arent centralized?
Major Marvaddin

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:42 am

I think it's perfect now.

The only minor thing I don't like is the stars on the Russian helmets. The yellow border seems a bit too thin, maybe this can be improved a bit, but that's only a cosmetic thing. Perhaps remove the red circle round the star?

I would also try to fix some of the spacing between the text and the army shadows because some of them are too close like Cherkassy.

Edit: I agree with Marvaddin about Sarema and the submarine.
Last edited by Ruben Cassar on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Guiscard on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:46 am

Marvaddin wrote:How about remove the compass and use that space to make the title bigger and more readable?

Good idea.

I do think the white looks better. They should be uniform and there were more problems reading the black than the white.

Looking good Qwert.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.

Postby nyg5680 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:59 am

the white does look good but im not sure if it is the easiest thing 2 see on the gray of coarse its readable perfctly readable but if theres any way 2 make it better that would be great if not than thats ok 2

the white definately does look better
Sergeant 1st Class nyg5680

Postby Qwert on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:46 am

Marvadin wrote
Is it on purpose that names in legend arent centralized?
I dont understand these,can you explane,i not study english then i can know every what you meane in 1 word.

I remove down Sarema and can see sub better.

Some of people say to put names like "Northern Army" "Central Army" and "Southern Army",real names its "Army Group North" "Army Group Center" and "Army Group South",but people say that not good.
Andy say these propose for names of "Northern Army" "Central Army" and "Southern Army".

Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Guiscard on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:49 am

The names are fine as they are now. By centered I think he means the numbers on the helmets, in which case they're meant to be like that and look fine in my opinion.

The title looks good but get rid of the green gradient, just have it plain or a very light grey one.

Great progress Qwert.

Postby Wisse on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:55 am

i have a few things that can improve this map:

1) make the borders all black, and blurr them to make them not so pixelating (also the thick black borders)

2) the armie shadows, the background (not the sea), the stars, the arrows and the pictures in the legend are a bit pixalating try to blur that too

3) try some different fonts and show that map (with deffernce fonts) here so pleople can choose what they do like mostly (could put up a poll for that one)

4) then make all the name-sizes of the star countrys the same
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas