Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Magic [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:03 pm

yeti_c wrote:
DiM wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Dimmy - can you get your half of the XML done by thursday?

Next week is gonna be mega busy for me work wise...

C.

i'm at work now. i'll do it tomorrow when i wake up and mail it to you.

i hope i'll have the time cause this week is mega busy for me but next week i'm free every day
:lol:

Sod it - I'll take the existing one (from Might) and use that as a base...

You can add in the extra borders - and tweak the neutrals as you wish next week?

OK? - which is the correct one?

C.

perfect. do that. i'll start the borders tomorrow and i'll join the 2 xmls when they're done
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Sven Hassel on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:05 pm

congratz on the FF :D
"Bullets kill, grenades kill, bayonets kill, the cold kills. Death has a thousand faces. The worst of them all: the Court Martial."
Lieutenant Sven Hassel

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:06 pm

“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:06 pm

Sven Hassel wrote:congratz on the FF :D

danke schon :lol:
Major DiM

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:10 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
Coleman wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:or does it stay in your ownership, but only with 1 army on it?
That one.

dim could you write that on the map also?
im pretty sure im not the only one wondering that...

DiM, am i being ignored?
cause you responded to everyone else except for my message...
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:23 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:
Coleman wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:or does it stay in your ownership, but only with 1 army on it?
That one.

dim could you write that on the map also?
im pretty sure im not the only one wondering that...

DiM, am i being ignored?
cause you responded to everyone else except for my message...

sorry i missed it. i'm not ignoring you.

ok the problem is that i don't have the space in the legend and even if i did i still would not think it's ok to put it. if a map has new xml features that people don't understand then they can simply come to the forum and ask.

imagine a map with bombardments decay one way borders different bonus for number of terits, starting neutrals objective and basically anything "strange" in the xml. now imagine the legend of that map if you had to explain each and every feature in lengthy details.

i think saying you lose 1 army per turn is enough.

more and more xml features will be introduced and if all of them will be lengthy explained none of the new maps will have space for the map itself. it will be 80% text and 20% map.
Major DiM

Postby bedub1 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:23 pm

DiM wrote:
Coleman wrote:
bedub1 wrote:Can docks really only attack other docks? Or can they attack the territory next to the dock too?

I have no idea how you could think they aren't like the docks in the current Age of Might map or in Age of Merchants...

bedub1 wrote:oh...does the open sea mean I can't attack from dock across that ice thing in the middle to the other docks on the inside of it? Doesn't that give a easier objective to people that get a castle up there?
The ice thing in the middle has paths on it, so yes and no. Anyone that has inconvenient docks can cross the ice thing to get to the Sanctuary, assuming they don't just want to defeat all the other players.

bedub1 wrote:The GRAPHICS look great...as I expected...except for that mountain in the bottom left corner...it need to look like the land....be hand drawn not copy & pasted....it doesn't blend well at all.

I don't see a mountain in the bottom left corner. If you mean the one in the middle left of the map it looks like the one in the middle left of age of might except covered mostly with ice and snow. If we change it too much it doesn't look like the same mountain as the one on the previous map and that would be bad in this case.

coleman did a great job explaining everything.
just one more thing to add. the mountain is hand drawn not copy pasted. everything on the map is hand drawn no copy pasted images.

I thought the docks because I read "Docks can only attack other docks" and then saw "connected by open sea"

Do you think it would be easier to kill 5 people or defeat & hold a single territory? What about 2 player mode?

I never noticed how silly the mountains look in the first map you made until I noticed them in this one, and you pointed it out that they are the same in the first, so I had to go back and look. I still think the mountains, in both maps now, need to be modified so they "blend" better from the normal territory to the mountains.....When I look at them now they just stand out and look funny....which is why I thought they might be a copy/paste. I never meant to imply you fall as low and using copy & paste :)
Colonel bedub1

Postby bedub1 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:26 pm

DiM wrote:more and more xml features will be introduced and if all of them will be lengthy explained none of the new maps will have space for the map itself. it will be 80% text and 20% map.

Thats why we need EXPLANATIONS of what these things are....SOMEPLACE on CC besides buried in threads about creating maps. Personally, I think we need a "Map Gallery" with comments from the author, descriptions of the map, recommended # of players, tips & tricks, difficulty level, other info etc.....

The Gallery should be a place to show off the map & the fine work that went into it, to write a personal statement about it and how it works etc...and specifically for you, a place to tell your story. I posted this to the suggestion forum and for the most part everybody ignored it. I believe it's a major flaw on the part of CC. In the past with few maps, it made no difference...but as we get more and more and more maps...it becomes all the more important. Kinda like an ART Gallery to show off all your Art.
Colonel bedub1

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:29 pm

i really can't see the blending problem of the mountains. i advise you to go back to the thread of chapter 1 and look through the various updates and the feedbacks i received about mountains. you'll see they evolved a lot and in the end everybody agreed they look well. in fact you're the only person to have a problem with them.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:33 pm

bedub1 wrote:
DiM wrote:more and more xml features will be introduced and if all of them will be lengthy explained none of the new maps will have space for the map itself. it will be 80% text and 20% map.

Thats why we need EXPLANATIONS of what these things are....SOMEPLACE on CC besides buried in threads about creating maps. Personally, I think we need a "Map Gallery" with comments from the author, descriptions of the map, recommended # of players, tips & tricks, difficulty level, other info etc.....

The Gallery should be a place to show off the map & the fine work that went into it, to write a personal statement about it and how it works etc...and specifically for you, a place to tell your story. I posted this to the suggestion forum and for the most part everybody ignored it. I believe it's a major flaw on the part of CC. In the past with few maps, it made no difference...but as we get more and more and more maps...it becomes all the more important. Kinda like an ART Gallery to show off all your Art.

i totally agree a link in the begining of every game log that leads to a map thread with explanations and a story and all kinds of things would be great but until then if people don't understand a map they can come to the forum and either read the map thread or simply post a question in the general discussion, or go to the live chat.

unfortunatelly due to size restrictions nobody can afford to put extensive explanations of everything.
Major DiM

Postby bedub1 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:39 pm

I've complained MANY times about a map that is 1/3-1/2 legend.....

But no, just a link on the left under "Game Menu" that is "Map Gallery"
Colonel bedub1

Postby Telvannia on Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:50 am

a few purely cosmetic things...

could you make sanctuary shields on the legend the same as the ones on the map, because the one on map has two snow piles, and it only has one in the legend.

If this is magic winter then aoria would be able to keep its castle garden green.

also the ice around eon looks too straight.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby Coleman on Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:57 am

Telvannia wrote:If this is magic winter then aoria wouldn't be able to keep its castle garden green.

Aoria has been through a lot. It had to move one of it's docks due to the harsh conditions, it had to find a new resource to harvest, and it is nearest to the frost causing Sanctuary. You want to take away the one thing it has going for it? Does their happiness really annoy you that much? I like Aoria being the green hope in the harsh winter wasteland.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby rebelman on Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:23 am

bedub1 wrote:

please lend your support to this thread in the ideas /suggestions forum which is more or less what you are talking about

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby Herakilla on Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:42 am

Coleman wrote:
Telvannia wrote:If this is magic winter then aoria wouldn't be able to keep its castle garden green.

Aoria has been through a lot. It had to move one of it's docks due to the harsh conditions, it had to find a new resource to harvest, and it is nearest to the frost causing Sanctuary. You want to take away the one thing it has going for it? Does their happiness really annoy you that much? I like Aoria being the green hope in the harsh winter wasteland.

yes coleman, we hate the aorians
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:43 am

Telvannia wrote:a few purely cosmetic things...

could you make sanctuary shields on the legend the same as the ones on the map, because the one on map has two snow piles, and it only has one in the legend.

umm snow doesn't deposit perfectly on everything. if you take your time and zoom into every shield you'll see none are identical as i've made them by hand.

Telvannia wrote:If this is magic winter then aoria would be able to keep its castle garden green.

yes it would it is their hope it is the garden of faith and you'll see it's importance in chapter 3

Telvannia wrote:also the ice around eon looks too straight.

i can change that.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:08 am

V10
DONE:
*made the ice in eon dock more realistic
*tweaked a few snowpiles

Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:31 am

DiM wrote:
Telvannia wrote:could you make sanctuary shields on the legend the same as the ones on the map, because the one on map has two snow piles, and it only has one in the legend.

umm snow doesn't deposit perfectly on everything. if you take your time and zoom into every shield you'll see none are identical as i've made them by hand.

Im not complaining about your snow piles. I just think that you should have the same snow pile on both of the sanctuary shields. Just so they look the same rather than it looking like there are two sanctuaries. :?

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:48 am

Telvannia wrote:
DiM wrote:
Telvannia wrote:could you make sanctuary shields on the legend the same as the ones on the map, because the one on map has two snow piles, and it only has one in the legend.

Im not complaining about your snow piles. I just think that you should have the same snow pile on both of the sanctuary shields. Just so they look the same rather than it looking like there are two sanctuaries. :?

come on mate there's only one sanctuary on the map and people aren't gonna think there are 2 because snow isn't the same. as a matter of fact all the shields in the legend are smaller than those on the map. does anybody thing there's a small castle and a big castle and a small village and large village? clearly no. the sanctuary has the same shield except for the fact that snow deposited differently. i'm willing to bet that 99% of the people won't even notice the 2 snow piles.
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:07 am

DiM wrote:
Telvannia wrote:
DiM wrote:

come on mate there's only one sanctuary on the map and people aren't gonna think there are 2 because snow isn't the same. as a matter of fact all the shields in the legend are smaller than those on the map. does anybody thing there's a small castle and a big castle and a small village and large village? clearly no. the sanctuary has the same shield except for the fact that snow deposited differently. i'm willing to bet that 99% of the people won't even notice the 2 snow piles.

well you never know with some people :lol:

Im sure people will survive. I still dont like the aoria garden. I want to crush the peoples hope. Then again if you change that people (me) will start to call for you to make the trees look dead, because they should be brown... :lol:

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:10 am

Telvannia wrote:
DiM wrote:
Telvannia wrote:
DiM wrote:

well you never know with some people :lol:

Im sure people will survive. I still dont like the aoria garden. I want to crush the peoples hope. Then again if you change that people (me) will start to call for you to make the trees look dead, because they should be brown... :lol:

actually as i previously said some plants don't die even in the harshest winters so they are evergreen :wink:

anyway half the xml is done and sent to yeti_c to do the bonus part :D
Major DiM

Postby Herakilla on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:37 pm

the two snow pile on sanctuary is because the name is in the way so part of the snow was removed to make room for the name

on that word do the same for Iburi, Basket Weaver, and because you fixed it so you could see all of voight's villa you should fix gunn's so you can see the whole villa
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:54 pm

ok :)
Major DiM

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:45 am

and hey DiM, when do we get to know what the 3rd one will be?
Corporal bryguy

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:15 am

bryguy wrote:and hey DiM, when do we get to know what the 3rd one will be?

when it will be released :D
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas