Conquer Club

Mongol Empire Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:32 pm

I think the wall and the mountains look perfect now!

Have you considered adding parts of images to the Seas in the West? They look odd, because they don't have any remnants of lines...

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Guiscard on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:34 pm

They did have images but I deleted them after advise from a few peopl (I forget who...)

Will add some different images though, I think, because I see what you mean.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Guiscard on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:42 pm

There we go.

Comments, people of the foundry???
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.

Postby Skittles! on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:45 pm

I'm not sure if I'm a person of the foundry, whatever.
But this map looks great! Except.. I think the wall is a bit to thick, but I'll get used to it.

Can't wait till it's finished. You're going a great job.

I also like the images in the west seas. Also the mountains are good grey too..
Private Skittles!

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:55 pm

Lets take a quick look at gameplay:

Golden Horde -- 8 Countries, 3 Borders, Bonus of 5.
Ilkhanate -- 8 Countries, 3 Borders, Bonus of 5.
ChagHadi Khanate -- 5 Countries, 4 Borders, Bonus of 4.
Great Khanate -- 6 Countries, 3 Borders, Bonus of 3.
Yuan Khanate -- 8 Countries, 4 Borders, Bonus of 6.
Jin -- 5 Countries, 2 Borders, Bonus of 2.

Well first off, compare the Twins of the West and Great K. Same number of borders, but the Twins have 2 more countries each...and have a bonus of 2 more armies. Do 2 more countries in each justify a bonus that is two higher than Great K.?

Also, might consider adding another attack route from Great K. into Yuan....via break in the wall (may not make sense on account of the time period). Consider adding a route Onggt to Yugor...you could have the wall extend a little further into Henan...so Henan still is a border with KhanBaliq...and make the break so that Henan is also a border with Onggt. This may be unneeded, it might help flow...I.E. a player in Great K. attacks Yugor, grabs Lhasa and then uses the Trade Route to break into a Twin of the West.

Hm, I'll think about more things too.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Guiscard on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:00 pm

Those sound like good ideas. A break in the wall is no problem, was in a pretty un-maintained state at this point in time.

edit: I'm thinking it might be better to just end the wall at the Onggt/Karakorum border, so as to help the flow but not have a slightly pointless impassable between Onggt and Henan.

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:36 pm

I'm going to have to say I don't like the wall in it's current state or when it was thinner either. I like the mountains and I think it'd work well if the wall was represented from the same perspective. It seems a bit weird to me that the wall is presented from top-down while the mountains are presented from the side.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Guiscard on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:54 pm

Yeh I'm still not 100% about the wall either, I just can't get a good perspecitve similar to that of the mountains... I'm really stuck for it.

Postby lord twiggy1 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:46 pm

looks good to me
Back in Black
'Cause I'm back/Yes, I'm back/Well, I'm back/Yes, I'm back/Well, I'm back, back/
Well I'm back in black/Yes, I'm back in black

That's right, I'M BACK! hopefully to stay this time!
Cook lord twiggy1

Location: at exacltly 15 degrees N lattitud and...Ahh who the hell am i kidding I have no idea

Postby Ninja-Town on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:59 am

It may not be the same view as the mountains, but it is functional and simple... and it gets it's job done, which is why it's there in the first place... but again, I am not that picky. :roll:
Corporal 1st Class Ninja-Town

Postby Ninja-Town on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:00 am

but then again, you can always come back to it at a later time.... :idea:
Corporal 1st Class Ninja-Town

Postby ViscountGort on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:29 am

i think the wall's making good progress. it seems to be a surprisingly tricky graphic to get right, but i think it'll be worth all this nitpicking in the end.

i think having stretches of wall with towers interspersed is a good idea, but as keyogi has said, the arial view doesn't fit with the mountains. can't you just alter the shadows and make the towers extend higher, such that it'll look like a side perspective on the wall?

having said that i think there's another reason it just doesn't feel quite right, which is that it's right beside the mountains, and they're clearly on a totally different scale. we've got a great wall that's as tall as the himalayan mountains, and that's never going to sit quite right. clearly i'm not suggesting you draw the wall on the same scale, as this would be invisible, but i think reverting to the thinner wall you had earlier would go some of the way to solving this.
Corporal 1st Class ViscountGort

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:00 am

i like this map, i think its about time to put it in XLM
Cadet Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby santon836 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:43 am

Well I like this map too.
I like the wall and the mountains both.
I mean, the great wall wás thick...
Private santon836

Postby Guiscard on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:56 pm

I'm considering changing it to a river. I really don't like the whole wall graphic and the yellow river covers mostly the same sort of route...

Postby ViscountGort on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:58 pm

interesting idea... but the problem is that if the river doesn't go to the sea it'll look really weird - just a line of river in the middle of the continent. but if it goes to the sea then it blocks off onngt-henan & khanbaliq-henan ..... unless there can be bridges?
Corporal 1st Class ViscountGort

Postby Contrickster on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:07 pm

The wall is okay. It's an incredibly beautiful map and you are probably right the wall isn't as beautiful as the rest being almost as large as the mountains, with chunky square bits.

On the plus side it doesn't have to be perfect and the squares complement the triangles of the mountains. Anyone who plays will know instantly what it's supposed to be. You can see the Great Wall from space!

Maybe you'd like to consider making the wall a thin white line, or more like how the wall really looks from low earth orbit.

Also, the Gobi Desert - I don't understand why it's yellow with white stuff inside.
Corporal 1st Class Contrickster

Postby Guiscard on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:18 pm

The white line idea sounds interesting, I'll have a play around with it.

As for Gobi, the white is actually light yellow (or at least on the monitors I;ve looked at it on), and is meant to look like sand / dunes. The yellow border, well, I dunno I just thought it looked good. Plus it marks it out from the normal territories. Does anyone else have a problem with this? Would be an easy enough fix.

Thanks for the compliments :D

Postby perchorin on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:28 pm

I really really like this map and can't wait to play it--looks pretty much done to me?
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby Lone.prophet on Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:55 am

the yuan district has to much bonus i suggest 4 or 5
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby Contrickster on Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:32 am

Guiscard wrote:As for Gobi, the white is actually light yellow (or at least on the monitors I;ve looked at it on), and is meant to look like sand / dunes. The yellow border, well, I dunno I just thought it looked good. Plus it marks it out from the normal territories. Does anyone else have a problem with this? Would be an easy enough fix.

Looks like cotton buds!
:D

Yep, great map. Can't wait to play it!

Postby Guiscard on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:40 am

As per usual, a new wall...

Comments? Gone for the thin line look, which I actually think is the best so far. Looks more in keeping with the scale of the mountains.

Postby fisherman5 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:39 am

to me it seems to blend in to much now maybe make it a tad wider or darker just my thoughts
Cadet fisherman5

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:06 pm

fisherman5 wrote:to me it seems to blend in to much now maybe make it a tad wider or darker just my thoughts

Yes, I agree...make it wider and slightly darker.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Contrickster on Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:28 pm

I like it. But I think it should be lighter.

Here's a typical photo of the wonder...

Cream/Blue.

Source

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas