Conquer Club

WWII - Eastern Front-statistic page 1 [Quenched]5000 finish

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby qeee1 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:47 pm

boberz wrote:i believe the opacity of the lines could be looked at (since the major upheavel in the boundries has changed the dynamics of this) whilst i myself do not see it as an issue i understand how it could be for some people and think 5 minutes work is worth this, and the sea names as you mentioned.

AS you have pointed out this is very little work all the more reason to make the few changes there are.

Personally i still wish the bonusses and the title to be changfed but understand why they are not so am not complaining

Like I said, before I thought the borders were fine when they looked "jagged", but you know you make some allowances for people who really care about this sort of thing. But since then they have been changed, and I still think they're fine.

A map should only be held up for so long over an issue which is only a problem for a very small number of people. Besides, the idea of less than opaque borders seems like a bad one to me. I like dark lines.

Having read back over the bonuses, the logic marv seems to have used is that one of the continents has more territories in it and hence a bigger bonus. Also the title thing has been justified several times.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby boberz on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:48 pm

petty issues??? or minor changes for a better overall look???

its all about perception, while there are minor changes to find people will find them this is not just about qwert this happens in every map they all slow down and become repetitive but most people just mention that it has been discussed at length and move on, qwert just abandoned
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby qeee1 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:48 pm

hulmey wrote:i have it from a good source that qwert is willing to change the bonuses and remove the sea names....But he fears that certain people will keep raizing petty issues with his map!!

That's the point I guess it's not just 5 minutes work. It's 5 minutes work now, and another 5 tomorrow... and so on and so on...

The bonuses and the sea names are the only two problems I see remaining, and the bonuses may not even be a problem, it's just that I haven't got the map to hand, so can't comment.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Ninja-Town on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:51 pm

qeee1 wrote:
cheguevarra wrote:
SUrely you do not want a map to get through based on the fact a map maker does not want to make more changes,

WHY WOULDN'T A DESIGNER WANT TO TRY IT?

Why does he have to bow down to the wims of 3 people when 20 think its fine. Lets not assume quert did nothing here... he not only made a map, he has been changing it for months.... but the dumbest little issues rise up... over and over again. Just let him make a map, make the needed corrections and be done with it? Lets not have him make corrections, then tell him to make smaller less insignificant changes, and then smaller, smaller, smaller... hell that would piss me off. I would give up after a while.
Corporal 1st Class Ninja-Town

Postby boberz on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:51 pm

every other map has to do this, qwert has a right to abandon but not a right to claim veryone with any power in cc is aainst him, this is not personal. Also the longer this map goes without updates the more likely old issues will crop up more and more.

Btw what did the symbols and words mean at the botom right hand corner of the map i never did find out

Postby qeee1 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:30 pm

boberz wrote:every other map has to do this, qwert has a right to abandon but not a right to claim veryone with any power in cc is aainst him, this is not personal. Also the longer this map goes without updates the more likely old issues will crop up more and more.

Btw what did the symbols and words mean at the botom right hand corner of the map i never did find out

qwert wouldn't reveal what the symbols mean, except to say they had meaning for him, which I think is justification enough.

There's a difference between issues with the map and pedantry/nit picking. If a majority of people don't think a change is needed, it probably isn't.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:46 pm

They were something in Serbian...forgot exactly what they meant and I cannot see them again. I think it was his hometown or something like that though.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:18 pm

Ninja-Town wrote:Lets not have him make corrections, then tell him to make smaller less insignificant changes, and then smaller, smaller, smaller... hell that would piss me off. I would give up after a while.

That's how maps get made though. You sort out the bigger issues with the map at the start and then filter down to the tiny little issues to finish with.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby qeee1 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:18 pm

KEYOGI wrote:
Ninja-Town wrote:Lets not have him make corrections, then tell him to make smaller less insignificant changes, and then smaller, smaller, smaller... hell that would piss me off. I would give up after a while.

That's how maps get made though. You sort out the bigger issues with the map at the start and then filter down to the tiny little issues to finish with.

So are we agreed on what changes remain to be made... failing anything completely new being noticed?
Colonel qeee1

Postby Molacole on Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:34 am

wow 103 pages. :shock:
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby Nikolai on Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:01 am

qeee1 wrote:
KEYOGI wrote:

So are we agreed on what changes remain to be made... failing anything completely new being noticed?

Let's see... NO. That's not how the process works. It doesn't work by "let's set some issues out, address them, and be done," it works by "here's a thought. Let's look at it. Here's an issue. Here's a preference." And they all get examined. qwert doesn't want to play by the rules every mapmaker has to play by and find out if each suggestion/thought/preference/idea/whateverthehellelsepeoplewanttosling has merit. As an excuse to avoid it, he started to try this "appeal to the people" bullshit, and now it's causing problems in the foundry. But the foundry process isn't one of the majority, it's a process of reason. The majority can provide information, but if something is obviously bad, or could clearly be improved, the mapmaker doesn't need a poll. If qwert wants the map to be quenched, he needs to suck it up and be willing to try the suggestions of others to see if they bear merit, instead of throwing a huge fit whenever anyone suggests something he doesn't like.
Sergeant 1st Class Nikolai

Postby Ninja-Town on Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:43 am

"appeal to the people"

How is that bullshit... it is the people that will play the map, is it not? And if the people see nothing wrong with the map, and three people in the foundry see pixels that are out of place, you screw the people? You are an idiot.

Postby boberz on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:34 am

qeee1 wrote:
boberz wrote:every other map has to do this, qwert has a right to abandon but not a right to claim veryone with any power in cc is aainst him, this is not personal. Also the longer this map goes without updates the more likely old issues will crop up more and more.

qwert wouldn't reveal what the symbols mean, except to say they had meaning for him, which I think is justification enough.

There's a difference between issues with the map and pedantry/nit picking. If a majority of people don't think a change is needed, it probably isn't.

then if nobody knows they could be really inappropriate for that language/culture, not saying they are but would just like some indication.

Also why is nit-picking such a bad thing i think it can make a map better

edit: i think we should agree to disagree until the changes in the foundry and this map is not going to get done anyway so let us leave this discussion till then

(we made 100 pages and there has been about 3 updates in 30 pages brilliant)

Postby hulmey on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:31 pm

then if nobody knows they could be really inappropriate for that language/culture, not saying they are but would just like some indication.

Thats nit-picking my feathered friend
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Qwert on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:48 pm

Boberz do you got something against my country, if you realy want to know what these mean, take translator and find what these mean. :x
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Guiscard on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:54 pm

Come on guys...
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:14 pm

Ninja-Town wrote:"appeal to the people"

How is that bullshit... it is the people that will play the map, is it not? And if the people see nothing wrong with the map, and three people in the foundry see pixels that are out of place, you screw the people? You are an idiot.

So we'll just throw out the whole foundry process then? Git rid of forging, quenching, Andy and myself?

Andy has worked extremely hard to make the foundry what it is today and just one quick look at the maps prior to his presence is a good indication of how well the system works. Lets not get distracted from the main issue here. The Map Foundry has a certain way of processing maps and it is expected that all cartographers follow the guidelines set out in the How to Make a Map thread. The only issue here is that qwert will not follow the guidelines. End of discussion.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Wisse on Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:18 pm

Guiscard wrote:Image

Come on guys...

only go right don't go left!
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby boberz on Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:27 pm

qwert wrote:Boberz do you got something against my country, if you realy want to know what these mean, take translator and find what these mean. :x

nothinbg against your country but i cannot even read the letters to translate, not saying they are offensive but not telling people wha\t it means is being deliberately obstructive

hulmey, why is nit-picking such a bad thing...

Postby hulmey on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:06 pm

lol coz my grandmother does it :)
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Molacole on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:18 pm

you have to take into consideration that every map that gets quenched represents this website.

You can't just let the majority rule on every topic because you'll end up lowering the standard bar of which maps are made.

See the problem is that many people have a problem with patience and with your kind of logic then maps will go live prematurly and end up having a reverse affect on the community.

In the end you'll have a bunch of half ass maps that end up getting reworked by people willing to put in the time every maps deserves and then be forced to meet certain guidelines by the original map aurthor, which will end up hindering the new cartographers creativity input along with the communities input...

yeah it's a run on ;p
Last edited by Molacole on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby Qwert on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:21 pm

So we'll just throw out the whole foundry process then? Git rid of forging, quenching, Andy and [color=blue]myself[/color]?

Andy has worked extremely hard to make the foundry what it is today and just one quick look at the maps prior to his presence is a good indication of how well the system works. Lets not get distracted from the main issue here. The Map Foundry has a certain way of processing maps and it is expected that all cartographers follow the guidelines set out in the How to Make a Map thread. The only issue here is that qwert will not follow the guidelines. End of discussion.

Its look that you born in Map foundry "Me and me"
I can agree with Circle and Bonus and Sea names to be discused, but these will be pointlese, because like you say"Minor and microscopic thing is very importan and everything must be perfect,not 1 mistake can not be in map"
Now you have some influence to Andy, please tell hem to lock my topic, because all these support dont have power to change opinion of small group of people who dont want to i finish my map, in these way my topic will drop down and go out my sign, and lett people to go in other topic and fight agains ridiculos opinion who will pursue others map authors too also abandoned hes project,Thanks.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Molacole on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:31 pm

qwert wrote:
So we'll just throw out the whole foundry process then? Git rid of forging, quenching, Andy and [color=blue]myself[/color]?

Its look that you born in Map foundry "Me and me"
I can agree with Circle and Bonus and Sea names to be discused, but these will be pointlese, because like you say"Minor and microscopic thing is very importan and everything must be perfect,not 1 mistake can not be in map"
Now you have some influence to Andy, please tell hem to lock my topic, because all these support dont have power to change opinion of small group of people who dont want to i finish my map, in these way my topic will drop down and go out my sign, and lett people to go in other topic and fight agains ridiculos opinion who will pursue others map authors too also abandoned hes project,Thanks.

qwert you've made some very impressive maps thus far. Many of which I've wanted to play. Even though it can be a tedious path to completion when it comes to a map you have to understand that they're only requesting the changes to help your map. I highly doubt anyone would request something from you just to prevent your map from getting quenched.

If you really want to make your point then put in the work, update your map to the current standards of the community along with foundry personel.

After you've done this you can have evidence to support your case.

make a copy of your current map.
upgrade your map to the requests of the community and foundry personel.
make a new thread with a picture of original map and modified map.
Ask which map the majority likes more in your poll.
Then you will have your answer.
That is the only way you can be certain.
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby Ninja-Town on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:00 pm

KEYOGI wrote:

So we'll just throw out the whole foundry process then? Git rid of forging, quenching, Andy and myself?

You go too far.....that is not what I am trying to say at all! All I am saying is that there has to be a better way to stream line the process to make it go way smoother than this... Disapointment doesn't even begin to describe my feeling for this foundry. I believe this map is more ready than most going into final forge.... sigh. That is my argument. I said what I wanted to, and now I am done. This bickering accomplishes nothing.

Postby Qwert on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:31 pm

Molacole you dont read last post of Keyogu,he say these"dont like title,dont like colour of stalingrad army,dont like borders how look,dont like bonuses,dont like rivers" 1 words he dont like nothing and he want to se that i change everything, if you dont belive go back and you will find these post, he realy hate my map, because only he ask all these change and only hes logical explane is " I dont like how these look". I belive that after me he will go to find second victim for hes "I dont like these" game.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas